Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

carbon not a semiconductor...???

Status
Not open for further replies.

kumar91

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
why carbon is not used as a semiconductor..???

kumar91,

why carbon is not used as a semiconductor..???

Ultra pure crystalline carbon (diamond) is much more expensive than crystalline silicon. Besides, diamond has a band gap energy of 5 eV compared with 1.12 eV of crystalline silicon.

Ratch

Well how about Graphene it is a semi conductor right made out of C
yeah it is...I searched on web about this and found that its also a semiconductor having 10 times faster rate than si.

Attachments

• Carbon, the New King in the Semiconductor Industry.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 55
  • graphite behaves like a semiconductor.pdf
    328.5 KB · Views: 43

Graphene has one drawback it is piezo electric and semi conductor and so as I presume has poor stability is it so

- - - Updated - - -

By the by it is GRAPHENE and not GRAPHITE

Graphite is semi conductor as we all know

kumar91,

yeah it is...I searched on web about this and found that its also a semiconductor having 10 times faster rate than si.

So far, all I have seen from the links about this are promises. Remember magnetic bubble memories? If the costs of processing carbon into some kind of form that can be used is excessive, then it will only be a laboratory curiosity.

Ratch

i think u jst read the file name not content...bcoz if u'll read then u'll came to know i'm also talking abt graphene....:p
well all this stuff is still under research so we can't comment so much...better check out related research papers..

- - - Updated - - -

i think u jst read the file name not content...bcoz if u'll read then u'll came to know i'm also talking abt graphene....:p
well all this stuff is still under research so we can't comment so much...better check out related research papers..

kumar91,

So far, all I have seen from the links about this are promises. Remember magnetic bubble memories? If the costs of processing carbon into some kind of form that can be used is excessive, then it will only be a laboratory curiosity.

Ratch

Yeah agree with you friend for the first time in EDA :p

The main thing is that stabilizing Graohene is too hard and it is believed that this can come out after a period of about 10 years

People keep trying to make diamond semiconductors.
I haven't seen anything impressive.

Hard materials like diamond and SiC are difficult to work
by diffusion or ion implantation, the lattice prefers not
to substitute the dopant impurities so they don't activate.
For the longest time SiC devices were only made by non-
planar methods (epitaxy). I haven't kept up with that.
But diamond, being harder and a more robust crystal,
is likely worse in that respect.

Not to mention the small difficulty in getting a
semiconductor grade chunk of diamond in a size that
is useful for modern wafer processing equipment, or
sawing it into wafer form.

The CVD diamond people deposit is polycrystalline
(some folks working on ultra-nano-crystalline but
nothing I've seen says a single crystal film of any
extent that would support a decent yielding large
circuit).

Status