Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Battery pack switching Series to Parallel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dollarday

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi Everyone, :)

Heres my project/idea: Basically, I want to switch a battery pack from a series configuration to a parallel configuration (during charging) and back again (during discharging) using MOSFET switches.

This would be nifty for the following reasons:

a) Hobby shops sell something similar, but you have to manually connect and disconnect the batteries yourself: **broken link removed**
b) You can charge any battery pack from the same source if they are connected to this circuit
c) Your cells are connected in parallel while charging, which causes your battery pack to balance itself without a balancing circuit (during charging anyway)

I Have attached a picture of analogue switches required and a picture of the circuit I built using MOSFETS in the simulation program Crocclips. (Which seems to work in simulation)

I know I can probably use relays, but MOSFETS are so much more elegant...

Would the design work with the N-Channel mosfets I use?

Attachments

• Battery pack series_parallel CORRECTION.JPG
    Battery pack series_parallel CORRECTION.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 153
  • Battery%20pack%20parallel%20MOSFETS.jpg
    Battery%20pack%20parallel%20MOSFETS.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 121
  • Battery%20pack%20Series%20MOSFETS.jpg
    Battery%20pack%20Series%20MOSFETS.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 128

I don't think it will work. When a switch is open, the related FET gates are "floating" at an indeterminate voltage. I don't think you can guarantee that they will all turn off.

There may be other problems but I didn't bother to look further than this.

Status
Not open for further replies.