Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

1.27mm pitch programming header?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grizedale

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

we are doing ICSP with PIC12F629, and are using a 2.54mm pitch programming header......i.e. this one...

https://uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?sku=9731105

this goes with this crimp housing....
https://uk.farnell.com/molex/22-01-...y/dp/146256?in_merch=true&MER=i-9b10-00001460

....but we dont have enough room on the board, so we now need a 1.27mm pitch version (0.05 inch) but we cannot find it anywhere, do you know of one?

all we can find is this, but it doesnt have a mating crimp housing that we can connect wires to...
https://uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/p...ch=true&MER=i-9b10-00001460&_requestid=439978

So do you know of a 1.27mm pitch header

Hello!

I'm also using 1.27 mm headers. I have some connectors for round pins,
that are extremely resilient and support many insertions. I'll publish a photograph as soon
as I am back to my lab. Another solution is to use spring loaded connecters on the emulator
side and... no connector at all on the board. Just draw the contacts and when you put
the board on the contacts, JTAG gets connected. That's the best solution I know for small
boards.

Dora.

For a selection of small board-to-wire crimp connectors, review the JST catalog

For some reason, a popular pin spacing for single row crimp connectors is 1.25 rather than 1.27 mm. JST GH series and compatible 1.25 mm connectors from other manufacturers are also available from catalog distributors.

Hello!

The main reason is that JST is based in Japan, which has adopted exclusively
the metric system for years. I really like 1.25 mm pitch because they are always
on grid even with a rather coarse grid (0.25 mm) which is better for drawing
circuits. However, the connectors I use are not metric in the present case (pitch = 1.27).
As for my experience, I have specialized the last 10 years for small low power
system, and I have been spending some times looking for programming solutions.

Basically I use two different solutions. The first one consists in an adaptor from
JTAG to single row, 1.27 mm connector. It has 2mm holes allowing to firmly attach
the adaptor to the board.
Note that there are 2 types of connectors, cheap ones with square pins, and expensive
ones with round pins. I use the round ones, which are more resistant to insertions.
The difference between round and square is a bit similar to tulip versus lyra DIP
supports. It's very handy in case of programming series of devices because you just
have to hold the board against the spring loaded connector while you program it.
It's very quick. But lately with USB-capable chips, this became less useful: you can
just load the devices with USB.

Another solution is to draw pads on the PCB and connect with spring loaded connectors.
This solution is valid if you have a CNC machine to cut a fitting apparatus to hold the
adapter and the board together. But one advantage is that the spring loaded connectors
can be used zillons of times before breaking. I have never broken one.

Dora.

Attachments

• P1020342.JPG
    P1020342.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 92
  • P1020341.JPG
    P1020341.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 100
  • P1020340.JPG
    P1020340.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 98
  • P1020339.JPG