Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what tools used in system-level verification

Status
Not open for further replies.

zhangpengyu

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi
everyone!

What's popular tools used for system-level verification?

Thanks !

zhpy

SystemC, SystemVerilog

I just use verilog, and think verilog can do every thing.

I think if a design is includeing cpu or mcu, should use assembly or c to verify

Hi zhangpengyu:

If you design communication chip, I think vera|e will be a choice for verification.

You should use SystemC because of its convenient. In addition, it is an open-source tool.

There are various methodologis by which you can do verification some of the tools i am mentioning below -
a. Specman based or
b. Micropack based (ARM) or
c. SystemC (cadence) based or
d. TCL/TK based or
e. VHDL/Verilog based or
f. Combination of the above

There are various tools by which you can do verification .
but i say Specman or System C + perl is very good option,
traditional verilog based is more or less hardware type, it should not be like that.
Verification env should be software type.

The most popular verification tool which can support system-level is SpecmanElite from Verisity Co. It includes both of low-level and high-level structures to write properties and assertions. The low-level structures includes CTL and LTL. But high-level structures include some structures like class in C++. For example you can describe a CPU based on a structure like class definition in C++ and write lots of properties based on it. Therefore, you can write some high-level descriptions which are neccesary to do system-level verification. In this way, you are able to do equivalence checking, if you describe the system in a high-level of abstraction.

Regards,
KH

spauls, could you give an explanation of how which kind of tasks will use perl to implement, which kind of tasks will use use systemc to implement?

how to dynamically generate stimuli with systemc? how to specify a test case with a systemc -based testbench?

thanks

Id depends on the nature of the project. Mostltly system level verifcation invloves Verilog(reused from block level or Full Chip level) , parts of C code ( drivers or the boot up code or other intrerupt related code) developed by Software team or teh foem ware team, Asssembly code ( if a Processor is involved ), pli routines to link up all these. It is not always necessay to have this setup. For the deisgn which has llow software depency ( menas just sretting some regiates or booting up ) pure verilog/C/Specman/Vera can be used. My personl opinion is that SystemC is more used for performance modelling at the SysyemLevel that directly using this for the sysyem levele verifiication

C/C++
If it is related to digital signal processing, SPW/Cossap/Matlab/Simulink can do.

There is not a general answer for this question. It depends on the complexity of the job, the resource you may use. of course your habit at the same time.

so many different languages and tools can fuzzy me

u can do one thing make good hand on any one language like verilog,C.and u can do command on any verification language.
either it
1.tcl/tk
2.vera
3.system c
4.system verilog
5.arm

It depends what you want to simulate or modelling:

Digital:
SystemC, VerilogC

C/C++

VHDL/Verilog (Modelsim, LDV)

Analog:
Matlab (for very complex systems like receiver with rf frontend, sigma-delta converter, baseband processor)

C/C++ complex and difficult to read for other designers, but very fast

AHDL/VHDL-ams
Good for low complexity of the analog part, good for integration with digital system

Saber

Mixed Signal

a combination of the tools described above, in most cases slow due ot the performance loos of the simulator[/b]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back