Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Xlinx Spartan 3A-DSP or Xlinx Spartan 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

pesccia

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I have some doubts that I would like to resolve. I'm in process of buying development kit based on Spartan chip family. The idea is to buy dev. kit, to get familiar with it and than to develope my own fpga board.
Main application would be in digital signal processing. Virtex family is out of option for having high price. There are two options in front of me: sprtan 3a-dsp (speciaziled for dsp) and spartan 6. Regarding spartan 6, 3 dev. kit are taken into consideration: Spartan-6 FPGA SP601, Spartan-6 FPGA SP605, Atlys Spartan-6 FPGA (digilent). Regarding spartan 3, there is Spartan-3A DSP 1800A Edition. Spartan 3 kit is specialized for target application but the thing that bothers me most, is the fact that spartan 3a-dsp is much older then sprtan 6 family . I want to develope up-to-date board, which will be used in the years ahead. Which development kit would be most suitable, having in mind these criterias?

Thanks in advanced.

hi,
you can go with spartan 6 as it also supports high end applications such as image processing and also ECG processing SO I SUGGEST YOU GO WITH THIS.

REGARDS
Bala krishna

Yes, that was my idea also, but I wanted to get some confirmation. I have second thoughts regarding two development kits: Spartan-6 FPGA SP605 and Atlys Spartan-6 FPGA (digilent).
They are both based on XC6LX45, so I guess that they are pretty similar. Could I use them with Xlinx system generator and Matlab? Neglecting price (Atlys board is cheaper), What is in your opinion better choice?

Best Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back