Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need help with designing of solar water pump..

Status
Not open for further replies.

pradeep_k_b

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,I have a plan to change my home in to fully solar powerd one,and decided to use 1KW solar panel,inverter and battery for that.but the problem is with my water pump,its a 1hp pump,but i heard something like 1hp(~735W) need around double of its power(ie ~1.5KW) in its starting,so this will exceed my 1KW.And i can't avoid the water pump from this too.How can I overcome this?..or is it possible to design highly effient small pumps,i heard something like china have some products like that...do you anything about that?

There are small solar powered water pumps available, but as your existing one is 1 HP, why would that have been fitted if a .1 HP pump would do the job? It does seem a lot of power to me, are you pressure washing cars? :)
Frank

There are pumps designed for use with solar installations. Example, ranchers use them to pump drinking water for their herds where grid power is unavailable.

Solarjack is the brand I purchased. It can run between 15 and 25 VDC. A couple of amps. It is submersible and can push water upward 200 ft.

It is the type called positive displacement. It is not like the submersible pumps that have fans inside. So it cannot tolerate any sand going through it.

I chose this type after looking through a lot of pump descriptions. Price $500 in the US in 1999.

If the pump is powered from the battery through the inverter, then the battery should handle the starting surge, as long as the inverter is rated for that power.

I trust you are aware that a solar panel only generates its rated power with direct, overhead sunlight.

@chuckey,i am from kerala,.so we use this pump for deep water well or for borewell..is it possible to use .1hp pump for this?..i am really less experience with the water pumps,thats why i am asking

- - - Updated - - -

@BratheRad,i think its a better solution and its a good idea to use DC powerd pumps.solarjack is the best one among them?.but i think its costly 500$ means 20000 indian ruppees..:),and thats in 1999..do you know any cheaper brand?.and how much water it pump in 1 hour?
@crustschow,ya i know that.but till now i was always concentrated in AC pumps now i think a 12-20V DC pumps are the best choice,then we can take power directly from solar panel or from battery.i think the battery with inverter system is not good one here

@chuckey,i am from kerala,.so we use this pump for deep water well or for borewell..is it possible to use .1hp pump for this?..i am really less experience with the water pumps,thats why i am asking

- - - Updated - - -

@BratheRad,i think its a better solution and its a good idea to use DC powerd pumps.solarjack is the best one among them?.but i think its costly 500$ means 20000 indian ruppees..:),and thats in 1999..do you know any cheaper brand?.and how much water it pump in 1 hour?
@crustschow,ya i know that.but till now i was always concentrated in AC pumps now i think a 12-20V DC pumps are the best choice,then we can take power directly from solar panel or from battery.i think the battery with inverter system is not good one here

The depth of your well is one guideline as to which well pump to get. The deeper the well, the higher the cost.

Also the greater the flow rate, the higher the cost. The one I purchased was 1 or 2 gallons per minute (a deep well gives less flow).

It's good to be aware how much continual volume your well can supply. So you don't try to pump too fast. With a large enough storage tank, you can let a small pump run all day.

Also power consumption. An efficient pump costs more.

There is also the matter of the storage tank. If it is pressurized, or located high up, then you must add that to the lifting height. A booster pump can be added if you need more pressure.

Everything tends to cost more with solar energy. I have been looking at price lists from 1999. Even a hand pump for water wells costs $500.

Check websites for more information. Such as:

www.homepower.com

http://solarjack.com/

http://www.pvsolarpumps.com/index.html

Your water source is crucial. It's wise to have a backup pump, or a pump which is easily repaired.

There's the motor section, and the pump section. Perhaps you can learn how to construct one part or the other? Then you can save money.

The homepower.com is really interesting website,there are a lot of interesting things in that website.And from my first inspection,I can see that most of the pumps are in the range of 1000-1500$,its too costly for us.and I think most of them are not available in India too..so I think its better to design on
It's good to be aware how much continual volume your well can supply. So you don't try to pump too fast. With a large enough storage tank, you can let a small pump run all day.
,really love this sentence ,and its a good idea to use a small pump for the whole day...its really very suitable for us ,because we are in the equatorial region so the sunlight is available most of the day time :)Is it possible to design a pump in our home??or at least can we modify a pump in our desired power rating???...

When people set up a home power system, they often must find creative methods. If you search the internet, there may be someone who has constructed his own water pump.

It might work on the principle of a bicycle pump, or an old-fashioned flap-valve pump, etc.

If the water is less than 35 feet down, you have an easier job because you can put the pump at ground level, make it as large as you wish, wires can be shorter, repair is easier, etc.

Even if the water is a little more than 35 feet down, there is a concept which lets you bring up 10 cups, you keep one cup and circulate the other 9 back down the well. I believe such a pump is called a jet-pack pump.

okay....thank you..you are right,but here most of the well are more than 35feet in depth,,so its not practical.....anyway I want to find out a solution for this ,because it is very necessary...by the way what is the advantage with jet-pack pump?,..can we operate it in less power???

I see they are called deep well jet pumps. They pull water from a range of depth between a surface-mounted pump and a submersible pump.

It's an advantage to have the motor and pump where you can easily hook it up and maintain it. You still need to install pipes down the well.

One pump might be less expensive but cost more to run. (Example, if it uses high VAC or low VDC.) You want to weigh one factor against the other. A way to find the breakeven point is to ask: will it cost more to buy the high-priced efficient pump, or to buy PV panels to run the cheaper less efficient pump?

http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/agdex639

"Deep well jet pumps become less efficient as pumping lift increases. For lifts greater than 80 feet, submersible pumps may be preferred if the well yields sufficient sand-free water."

https://www.ehow.com/about_6305684_jet-water-well-pump-work_.html

www.deanbennett.com/deep-well-vertical-jet-pumps.htm

Last edited:
Thank you..:):)

- - - Updated - - -

Hello,its a solar pump thats available in India **broken link removed** Can you please tell me whether its a good one or not??

This appears to be a service that installs solar equipment. I believe they will help you select a well pump and install it for you. I don't think they manufacture the pump.

"It is capable of drawing water from 300 ft depth at quarter HP power." This sounds very good.

"Max flow rate is 30 liters/minute which is enough for supply of drinking and potable water." This sounds like a higher flow rate than you may need, although there is nothing wrong with that as long as your well can replenish its water quickly enough.

RelyOn may recommend a more expensive pump with the higher flow rate. You may want a less expensive pump with a lower flow rate. They should show you a chart of available pumps and explain advantages and disadvantages.

You will need to decide whether you want to supply water for your house only, or for your neighbors as well. It's a very big decision, since it might put huge demands on you, and your well's ability to provide.

Status
Not open for further replies.