Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to transmit data over 2-wire DC power line ( e.g 5V)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al555

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
data over dc power

Hi,

Does anybody heard about cicrcuits that can transmit serial data and suply circuits over 1-pair (2-wire only ) power line. ( up to 2400...4800 Bd, up to 2000Ft. )

I've heard about HART protocol, but it's industrial one. I want make my own drivers and cicrcuits.

Are there any specialized chips ??
Does anybody heard about it ??

Regards,

Al555

data over dc

First you have a low pass filter for the power connection and a high pass filter for the data.

Then you can use ordinary telephone modem type communications. The only thing you will have to take care of is the on-off hook sensing because there is no DC level to sense and also the lack of a dial tone.

how to transmit data over power supply lines

The serial signal must be encoded with a RZ encoding (i.e. Manchester) and then it can be superimposed on DC supply voltage.
Infact the signal so encoded have no DC components and to achieve galvanic isolation you may also use transfomer between the serial driver/receiver ant the line (before of the bypass capacitors)

dc power line modem

for such a long distance, use of a decent error-detection algorithm like CRC is a must.

data over dc line

Any ideas for transfer over AC (low voltage 12V)?

data over 2 wires

This is quite comonly done on fire alarm systems, then you can have your detectors all connected to the same two wires. Saves wiring!
You can use telecom DTMF chips (dual tone multi frequency) for the encoding and decoding. They are cheap and widley available. You just have to write your own protocol.

power and data over two wires

Use this chip it will do the work for you

best

Bobi

data and power over 2 wires

why didnt you try RS485 protocol it's simply like RS232 but Halfduplix and u detremine the direction by logically from one pin.. using 75176 from texas instruments.
it could travel through 1500 mt.
search more at google
regards

Added after 43 seconds:

why didnt you try RS485 protocol it's simply like RS232 but Halfduplix and u detremine the direction by logically from one pin.. using 75176 from texas instruments.
it could travel through 1500 mt. over shielded twisted pair wire (2 wires)
search more at google
regards

lin over dc

Hi bobcat1,

Where can you buy this chip?
Who is the supplier and is it widly avilable?
Had you ever used it?

Thanks.

transmit data on power supply line

Hello Gidimiz

This chip maufecturerd by simens for EIB power communication protocol

Search EIB or TPuart in google and you will find DS and source code how to connect

All he best

Bobi

sending data over 5v dc supply

In topic
there is proprietary protocol **broken link removed**

It looks they took 4-20 current loop as base and send digitized output using loop as power supply as well . For example 0 is 5 ma, 1 is 20 ma .
On receiver end you have to implement current detector comparator .

For slow signal rate it is the best price solution .

dc powerline modem

Bobi, about the EIA-TP-UART-IC

First thank you very much for an interesting information. Then questions:
1. Your datasheet from 25.10.01 seems to be newer, than the one from the Siemans page. Where from is it? But the same time the document number of your DS 25.15.10.41.33a seems to be older, than of the Siemens: 25.15.14.41.34a. Contradiction?
2. Where can I buy this chip? First I need a small quantity and then about 100. Please, can you recommend a supplier? I found only one in Russia, but they sell only very large quantities.
3. Can you recommend, where on the web one can find the best tech. information about the EIB. I tried to find by Google, and received a lot of noise. I think to use it on the new Gamma-Ray telescope MAGIC-II to be built soon on La-Palma.

Thank you very much in advance,

Varuzhan

Re: sending data over 5v dc supply

Respected sir,
This link "http://www.apollo-fire.co.uk/PDFs/PP1039%20XP95%20EPG.pdf" is dead.Can you please provide me the new address or the pdf file.
Thanks and regard,
Rahul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back