Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] PFC after mains trasformer, possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gabryponte

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
I want some advice about this kind of architecture: it is possible to design a PFC which works after a mains transormer?
My ideas is to have a toroidal transformer 230/48, which solves my problem of having a 5kV input/output isolation, then I want to put a PFC, and then stuff like DCDC and so on.

my ideas is to take a PFC application note and modify the circuit for having an AC input compatible with 36-56Vac,
but I found no application about a PFC which have less than 85Vac input. Is there someone knows why?

In principle there's nothing wrong with having a PFC after a transformer. It shouldn't be any different from being directly on the line, from the controller's perspective anyways. And there's no reason PFC can't work from lower voltage, it's just a matter of adjusting component parameters.

Thanks for your replies, they are very confortable :)

My idea is to use the L6562 from STmicro, because with it I can implement a FOT (fixed off time) for having a variable frequency and then less EMI.

Orson, could you tell (if it is possible) some information about your design?
For example which kind of controller you've used? Is my coiche of the L6562 obsolete?

Status
Not open for further replies.