Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Do I need resistors for Intersi's HIN232 (MAX232 alternative)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

elPresidente

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Sorry for such a newbie question but i can't figure it out myself. I use four RS232 lines, RX, TX, DTR and DSR. My PIC uC has 2 of them implemented in hardware - RX and TX but DTR and DSR i have to use with normal GPIO ports. I was alway connecting outputs from MAX232 (now HIN232 ) directly to uC without any current limiting resistors but now i'm hesitating if it is a good way to do.
In datasheet of HIN232 https://www.intersil.com/content/dam/Intersil/documents/fn31/fn3138.pdf it is written that receivers have from 3k to 7k input impedance, ok but what about output impedance, do i need there resistors? And what about transmiters which have > 300ohms output impedance?

Do i need those resistors or it's not required, or maybe even not recommended?

No, you don't need them. The data sheet is referring to the impedances built-in to the IC which are already optimized for RS232 lines. They are specified in case of unusual conditions where more than one transmitter or reciver is connected to a single wire and it's necessary to consider their loading effects and drive capability. For normal use, just connect the communication wires directly to the IC.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back