Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

vga or hdmi switching device

Status
Not open for further replies.

polarized

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everybody,

I am searching for a device which could switch between 2 VGA or HDMI sources lets say PC's and one computer monitor. The device has to be electronically controlled, lets say by serial port RS232 or even some other interface. Anyhow, RS232 is enough. I cant find a device like this on the internet. I can find only devices with mechanical switches which have to be pressed in order to perform the switching operation. Does anyone know where could I find a device like this? The price has to be affordable, lets say 20 USD or 30USD or similar. The other idea is to construct it like a DIY project. Does anyone have any suggestions should I use relays or maybe analog switches? What about the limitations of a 4051 analog switch, the max. frequency of the 4051 or the RON resistance of the 4051. What about the HDMI variant of the device. Are there any specific issues to solve if the HDMI signal is interfaced? Thanks. Bye

If you are thinking of a diy project, then why not take one of these mechanically controlled VGA/HDMI switches and replace the mechanical switch with an electronic switch. For instance, you could use a use a simple micro-controller with a serial port and issue commands to said micro-controller. When the proper command is received, you could toggle an IO that switches a FET on or off, causing the vga/hdmi to switch input sources. I highly doubt that you are going to be able to find something like what you are looking for right out of the box.

Regards,
Willis

Hi,

Yes, but what do I get if I acquire a device like I already seen on the internet? I will not get a relay with contacts inside. I will find a mechanical switch with multi contacts which has to be triggered manually. I can make a small project with an MCU, UART interface and with an digital output, but the VGA standard defines many lines which have to be transmitted for the video. How many relays do I need?

Rgds,

Sandro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back