Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Phase diagram of s11 positive and always >0 deg

Status
Not open for further replies.

kabylie

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi
please , when i simulate patch antenna , i find s11 for desirable frequency (fr) <-10dB (good adaptation) , but i find phase diagram of s11 positive and always >0 deg!
what that means please (physically) and is there an error §?

Re: phase of s11 parameter

Can you post an S11 plot (on a Smith Chart with some frequency markers)?

phase of S11 always >0 means that your antenna appears to be (somewhat) inductive over the simulated frequency range. This can be a combination of certain transmission line length and non-optimum match.

Nothing wrong with this!

If you change the match a bit, the S11 graph (on Smith chart) may encircle the center of the graph, and then you will see negative phase also.

If you would add a quarter wave transmission line between the actual feedpoint and the source, the S11 curve will be in the negative half of the Smith Chart. You may know that adding a 90 degrees long transmission line (50 Ohms, assuming 50 Ohms reference impedance), will rotate the curve on the Smith chart over -180 degrees.

De-embedding the port along the length of the transmission line will also counteract it's effect - essentially, giving you the phase response at the edge of the patch antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back