Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DC DC selection for IGBT drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

7rots51

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
What DC/DC converters in the market are suitable for 1200V/100A IGBTs? how to select a DC/DC?

The IGBT gate need 2A peak current,can Dc/DC supply this current to gate?

MINMAX,MORNSUN are DC/DC manufactureres.

The IGBT gate need 2A peak current,can Dc/DC supply this current to gate?
Hi 7rots!
Remember that current is surge current ! ( like spike ! ) . so , a simple supply can handle it . it depends on what kind of driver you are using . if you are using a boot strap driver , if you select , high value capacitor , as it's driving capacitor , your supply won't need pretty high currents ! ( it also depends on frequency of operation )
Can you tell more explanations ?
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

I want to drive 100A 1200V IGBTs at 10~20KHz spees and I want to use isolated DC/DC converter for each IGBT to drive.

The DC/DC need to supply 2A surge current ,how I select DC/DC converters from vendors?

Is there any specific DC/DC for IGBTs in market?

I need +15V and -8V for IGBT drive.

Hi again
You didn't tell me , that , have you any pulse driver ? ( integrated circuit ) or just , a totem pole as driver ? or perhaps another things ? ( methods of driving , are important for judgement , regarding , required supply )

I agree with goldsmith, that DC/DC converters would be selected based on average power consumption rather than gate peak current. Peak currents can be buffered by capacitors. I also see, that standard bootstrap drivers aren't really suited for high power IGBT designs, for several reasons, e.g. lack of bipolar gate drive or desaturation protection and limited voltage rating.

There's in fact a large choice of DC/DC module manufacturers that come into question. I would check locally availabe vendors first. Besides using general purpose DC/DC modules, which will end up in a kind of compromise in several regards, dedicated gate drivers with built in power supply and control signal isolation should be considered, e.g. from Concept or Eupec.

I use HCPL316J for drive IGBTs.

Hi again
A years ago , i had the same problem ( for driving a mosfet in HF band ) it required 10 A surge current , a friend of mine suggested me to use IXDD series drivers , i have used one of them , and the result was ok .
I just thought perhaps it is interesting to point about it .
Best Regards
Goldsmith

Status
Not open for further replies.