Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to install fedora 12 on windows 7 as dual boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunil880089

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear friends,

I have windows 7 in my PC.i need to install Linux (Fedora 12) also in my PC.

Please Can Anyone help me to install fedora 12 on windows 7 as dual boot.

Thanks And Regards
Sunil

Simple solution would be to install vmware player, and than install Fedora 12 as a virtual machine under it. As for Fedora I would not recommend using Fedora 12 since it is EOLed and not supported.

Simple solution would be to install vmware player, and than install Fedora 12 as a virtual machine under it. As for Fedora I would not recommend using Fedora 12 since it is EOLed and not supported.

Dear Sir,
Thanks for your support,

But i Don't want to install Fedora Using VMWare.
So can't we install as dual boot so that while restarting it asks to select either Windows 7 or Fedora?..

please help me. thank u...

- - - Updated - - -

Dear cfant,
what do you mean EOLed and not supported?

EOL = End of Life

See by yourself here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fedora_(operating_system)#Version_history

But if you insist, here are the steps:

1. Resize the windows partition to make space for Fedora.
2. Boot from DVD and install Fedora using free partition
3. Set bootloaded to boot sector of the previosly selected partition.
4. Boot to windows, download and install EasyBCD 2.1.2
5. in EasyBCD add Linux to windows bootloader
6. Now you have dual bootable system

All of this under asumption that your hardware is supported in 2.6.31 kernel which is included with Fedora 12.

But i Don't want to install Fedora Using VMWare.
So can't we install as dual boot so that while restarting it asks to select either Windows 7 or Fedora?..

You are in need of installing fedora with windows as a dual boot. If so try doing the following. This may help.

Consider i am having a 500GB hard disk and i am using the partition as follows : 5 * 100GB each ( C,D,E,F,G ). Normally i have installed windows in c.

1. First confirm that u have any other partition which is totally free. In that partition we can install linux. (Here i am taking D)
2. Insert the fedora installation dvd into the drive and follow the steps of installation.
3. At a certain step, you will be prompted with a window mentioning the partition where linux is to be installed. There go for custom partitioning.
4. There it will be displaying all the window partitions, where C starting with sda1 and D with sda5 and so on.
5. Select D partition and delete it. In the free space available, create a specific space for swap and root partition.
6. Then continue the installation process.

This will surely work.

First thing: you might want to use a newver version of Fedora. I used Fedora 16 (with Gnome 3) and it was great but now there's Fedora 17 (which I haven't tried yet).
Second: Don't even think of touching the Windows hard drive before installing fedora, it's absolutely unnecessary. The Fedora installer (as same as the installer of many other distros) will ask you where to install Fedora and how to manage that partition. At this point you will tell Fedora to resize the partition by a certain amount and the installer will provide by itself to resize the Windows partition and use the available (just freed) space. On the other side you'll have to make sure the Windows partition is not that screwed up so a defragmentation is always a good practice before resizing partitions.
Third: there's absolutely no need to use EasyBCD or any other similar software. When installing Linux over Windows, the Linux bootloader will automatically detect the Windows installation and will modify the bootloader by adding the Windows entry. You will automatically get a boot menu from which to choose the operating system to start.

So the steps are:
1) Defragmentation
2) Restart PC and insert the Fedora installation DVD while loading (make sure the PC boots from the Fedora DVD)
3) Install fedora and when asked for the hard drive/partition to use choose to resize an existing partition. You may now specify the amount of space (in MB) to use for Fedora
4) When installation is complete, work is done. Just restart the PC and enjoy your dual-boot PC with Windows and Fedora :)

@sunil880089: Why do u want to install fedora on dual boot ? The best thing is the Virtualization Technology. Use Oracle Virtual Box or VMWARE WORKSTATION to install fedora.
Just google for Virtual Box, its Open source software and easy to install. Virtualization helps u to use multiple OS on ur machine at a time without any problem. whats ur machine configuration?

- - - Updated - - -

fedora installation using Virtual Box:- http://www.wikihow.com/Install-Fedora-17-in-Virtualbox

Dear friends,

I have windows 7 in my PC.i need to install Linux (Fedora 12) also in my PC.

Please Can Anyone help me to install fedora 12 on windows 7 as dual boot.

Thanks And Regards
Sunil

ok
1.check that you have installed the drivers correctly that support multi os
2.make a free space in the hard disk completely for fedora .
3.install the os at that free space

Why do you want Fedora 12 itself? *DONT* install it, unless you know what exactly you're doing.

I suspect you wish to try out Fedora Electronics Lab. For that, just head to **broken link removed** and downlaod the one for your architecture. This will be a remake of Fedora18, and *NOT* Fedora12.

You dont need a DVD to install linux these days. Burn the downloaded ISO to a USB flash drive ( use Linux Live USB / Universal Linux USB / Unetbootin ). Boot into the Live System and install it to your computer.

First of all, you need to make some free space in your computer. Its recommended to create a "Logical Drive" and install linux into it. Note that you will need *TWO* partitions to install Linux. One is for "root" parition, represented by "/" and second is the "swap" partition, You should provide atleast 40% of your RAM size as the swap size.

For dual booting, you dont need to do anything else. Installation will automatically do it for you. You'll get a dual boot prompt after a successful installation.

Though if you can wait for a couple of days, Fedora 19 will be released :p

Status
Not open for further replies.