Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What IC Sockets for prototyping boards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

louarnold

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'll need to solder some components and DIP IC sockets to prototype boards. Having only used the solder-less kind (alot of holes), I wanted to know if there was kind of IC socket that is better than others. It would be helpful is someone could describe a a few types and the merits of each, or perhaps provide a URL to an explanation.

I will want to order some 10 -20 pieces of each 8-pin DIP, 16 pin DIP, and perhaps some larger sizes. It might be good to use headers for the components.

Also I need capacitors and resistors. Any suggestions of what quantities to buy and what values are useful? I'll need some bypass caps to filter the supply lines at the ICs. (10pf?) and some for 555 timer freqs to high Mhz.

Hahaha, I don't have any proto boards at the moment, so can you suggest some that work well?

The "turned-pin" sockets are nice, but depressingly expensive. The 'leaf-contact' type (maybe the name is different) are cheap, and
are fine for prototyping too.
You can get a bag of 1/4W resistors for not much money, and they are useful. You can also get a few thousand SMD resistors from
ebay (in small plastic bags), maybe 0603 sized, for not much. I tend to use the SMDs more often, even for prototyping (they fit across
to stripboard rails quite nicely at 0603 size - you just need a pair of tweezers).
Caps are expensive, so its hard to have an extensive range of them without expending a lot of money. If you're 555-experimenting,
maybe a bulk bag of misc small electrolytics, and ceramic caps? They will be fine for small experiments.
For most experimenting, stripboard is quite convenient, although there are many other types too.

For solderless IC sockets use ZIF sockets if you need to change IC frequently :

images

For standard IC usage in sockets and also solderless you can use noarmal and professional IC sockets :

Professional
**broken link removed**

Professional Gold Plated
IFzO1.jpg

Normal
**broken link removed**

Also I need capacitors and resistors. Any suggestions of what quantities to buy and what values are useful? I'll need some bypass caps to filter the supply lines at the ICs. (10pf?) and some for 555 timer freqs to high Mhz.

Question not clearly about capacitors. Buy few kilos random size. :-D
Do we know 555 freq range ?

Buy bigger protoboard to have more space for working and later if there is some not spent money, after buying capacitors, buy some good development board, that will make things better if you plan to work with microcontrollers.

protoboard.jpg

Last edited:

The "turned-pin" sockets are nice, but depressingly expensive. The 'leaf-contact' type (maybe the name is different) are cheap, and
are fine for prototyping too.
You can get a bag of 1/4W resistors for not much money, and they are useful. You can also get a few thousand SMD resistors from
ebay (in small plastic bags), maybe 0603 sized, for not much. I tend to use the SMDs more often, even for prototyping (they fit across
to stripboard rails quite nicely at 0603 size - you just need a pair of tweezers).
Caps are expensive, so its hard to have an extensive range of them without expending a lot of money. If you're 555-experimenting,
maybe a bulk bag of misc small electrolytics, and ceramic caps? They will be fine for small experiments.
For most experimenting, stripboard is quite convenient, although there are many other types too.
Is that the leaf-contact type in the next post?

I have to laugh...I'm not young anymore. My eyes have trouble seeing SMDs, and I'm not sure my hands are steady enough to solder them. I'll stick with the axial type.

I can get a bag of resistors (2000) 20 of each value 1/4 watt, 5% for about $16.45 cdn
Ceramic capacitors (100) for $3.08 cdn
The cheap 14-pin IC sockets at $0.14 cdn.
I don't see any 16 -pin sockets from the same source so I'll have to look around.
Same for the 555/556 timers.

- - - Updated - - -

For solderless IC sockets use ZIF sockets if you need to change IC frequently :

For standard IC usage in sockets and also solderless you can use noarmal and professional IC sockets :
Question not clearly about capacitors. Buy few kilos random size. :-D
Do we know 555 freq range ?
I'd like to use the "normal" one as its shown, but what are the pros and cons besides cost?
Hahaha, yes, few thousand caps. I'll buy 100, but the next values I'll buy in a ten pack as I need them.
The 555 will go as high in frequency as I can make it. I want to use it to build my first simple signal generator.
I have the white breadboard shown in your post. The next stage will be to move the design to proto board.PROTO777.jpg
Many thanks.

Last edited:

Is that the leaf-contact type in the next post?
That's right, the bottom pic in tpetar's post. I think they're rated for only a few insertions/reinsertions, but basically they're fine for normal use, and inexpensive to replace anyway. The board shown in your pic looks good. I'm a bit cheap and use the lower-cost stuff like this and hack the strips with a scalpel, but yours is more convenient.
For electrolytics I just have a single pack of **broken link removed** for all non-critical, low-voltage experimentation, and for ceramics I have **broken link removed**, but looks like you've got a better deal on the latter : )
Sometimes, there are excellent deals on ebay. For example I've got about 500 47uF tant capacitors (but hardly any other values), so I'll be
using a lot of 47uF capacitances in my circuits ; )

Returned to edit a second time:

His website is there. I forgot to add 'the' at the beginning.

-----------------------------------

Check out the CapKing for your capacitors.

His prices are so low (shipping included) I don't know how he stays in business.

www.thecapking.com

Last edited:

Normal IC socket (I should write standard, that sounds better), can be used many times for reinsertions of cheap, I used this type for programmers instead expensive ZIF sockets, and works great. You can remove unused pins and stay only needed pins, that will for sure provide easier reinsertion of cheaps.

This tool make easier removing ICs from sockets :

ic-puller.jpg

Dont buy parts according to prices linked with amount, there is no point in that just to waste money, better buy mostly needed and usually used parts and this values of them and different voltage ratings. We usually make circuits according to our need and designs not according what we have on stock from parts.

Better buy some amount from each of this, unlike to buy only one value :

Electrolytic capacitors (will grow in size according to voltage ratings):
4,7uF,10uF,33uF,47uF,100uF,220uF,330uF,470uF,1000uF,2200uF,3300uF,...

Ceramic or block capacitors :
10pF,15pF,18pF,22pF,33pF,100pF,10nF,22nF,33nF,68nF,100nF,220nF,330nF,...

Resistors metalfilm 1% 0,6-1W (better) or carbon 5% 0,25W :
10R,100R,1K,100K,4,7K,47K,470K,470R,330R,10K,1M,560R,680R,3,6K,5,1K,...

Make classification of each part based on values in transparent small bags with zip on top. On top of bags write with permanent felt pan value for that part, and put all bags in one box, sorted in increasing order based on values of parts.

images

:wink:

Last edited:

I'm a bit cheap and use the lower-cost stuff like this and hack the strips with a scalpel, but yours is more convenient.
I like your idea better.

Sometimes, there are excellent deals on ebay. For example I've got about 500 47uF tant capacitors (but hardly any other values), so I'll be
using a lot of 47uF capacitance in my circuits ; )
Hahaha. Yes well, I hope for mire variety.
Thanks very much.

- - - Updated - - -

Normal IC socket
I agree. I'll get an IC puller. Maybe not such a fancy one.

Dont buy parts according to prices linked with amount, there is no point in that just to waste money, better buy mostly needed and usually used parts and this values of them and different voltage ratings. We usually make circuits according to our need and designs not according what we have on stock from parts.
Well, you need to start somewhere and buying 10 of each value you listed is going to be very expensive. See the web site you gave for the costs.

Make classification of each part based on values in transparent small bags with zip on top. On top of bags write with permanent felt pan value for that part, and put all bags in one box, sorted in increasing order based on values of parts.
Yes, that's a good idea. I just have to learn the colors to put them back in the right bags.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back