Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Canon C130 copier. It is very hard to get the start key to print copies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Ptaker

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
PROBLEM: Have a Canon C130 copier. It is very hard to get the start key to print copies. You have to press real hard, sometimes pressing different points on the button gets it to print.

ONE SOLUTION OFFERED: "Odds are that you will have to replace the control panel. Or if you are not scared to take the copier apart. You can fix it your self.... The problem is that the solder connection for the switch is broken from the PCB.... If you can take the control panel off and solder the connection for the switch, you will save some money"

REQUEST: The service manual pages so I can take apart the copier and get at the control panel.

Any help you can give me would be appreciated.

Thank you

Bob

check the attached Manual

Attachments

• Canon Color Laser Copier 1120-1130-1150 Service Manual.pdf
    3.5 MB · Views: 48

eng1981AD, thank you for the service manual BUT it is not for the Canon C130 copier. If you have the correct manual, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Bob

Since the button seems to be sticky...

If this is a membrane or rubber push button, and you don't mind slicing into it...

You may discover contacts which have become dirty or corroded or gooey. Either metal traces or carbon pads.

Cleaning might solve the problem. It's an obvious thing to try, because it is easier to access the control panel than to get at the machine's innards.

I would cut a flap in the button. In the manner shown.

Note: This operation could ruin the button's operation altogether if you're not careful.

On the other hand, if it works you're a hero. Decide wisely.

26_1347075800.gif

Lift the button flap. Use any of several cleaning techniques. Use a solvent that leaves no residue. An easy way is a cotton swab and alcohol.

Do not use solvents which dissolve plastic. No acetone, lacquer thinner or fingernail polish remover.

Avoid soaking the area with so much fluid that it leaches under the membrane.

Avoid leaving fibers or residue on the contact area.

Contacts may get damaged so as to be unusable. Consider attaching a piece of aluminum foil to the underside of the flap.

Let the contacts dry. Put clear tape over the flap.

If cleaning doesn't solve the problem then the problem could be a broken contact. Or it may be in the machine's brains.

BradTheRad, thank you for the reply. I will consider that suggestion.

If that doesn't work and I have to solder a broken wire, how do I open the panel to get at the start to print button?

Update on the machine's use: Periodically, when you put on the machine and press on it (sometimes soft and sometimes really hard) the machine does print.

Bob

Update on the machine's use: Periodically, when you put on the machine and press on it (sometimes soft and sometimes really hard) the machine does print.

Unpredictability is a typical sign of oily goo on the contacts.

The stuff seems to appear from nowhere, particularly on older machines. Telephones, remote controls, etc. I believe it comes from a chemical decomposition of rubber or soft plastic.

This means there is no reason to believe someone spilled oil on the keypad.

The oil will return after a while.

Sometimes the button works when you press it softly. In that case it is unlikely the problem is a bad contact, despite the fact that the control buttons get a lot of poking and prodding.

If that doesn't work and I have to solder a broken wire, how do I open the panel to get at the start to print button?

This would be hard. Plenty of opportunity to break something irreparably.

Even if you can get access at the inside of the machine, you will need to be extremely careful around wiring, while you remove and re-install parts that are in the way.

Even if you get at the back, you may find it hard to separate the parts. They may be fastened by adhesive.

That is why I would slice into the button directly from the top, where you don't have to risk touching the insides.

Naturally we start with good intentions to do things neat and clean, however it may not be possible in this kind of spot. Picture if you get the copier working reliably again. Will you care that there's tape over the button?

Thank you for the reply. I was able to remove the front panel and get at the circuit board. The start print micro switch is the problem. Do you know where to get a new or refurbished control panel for this copier? Refurbished is preferred provided it has a guarantee not to arrive DOA.

Good job. You must be an expert at this.

Manufacturers typically charge an arm and a leg for parts.

It would pay to check whether there is a recall on your copier. If enough people have had problems with it, Canon may give you a break.

ALso try contacting an outfit that services office equipment.

Also possibly Ebay or Amazon.com.

If you want to do what electricians do, spray a bit of Contact Cleaner into the switch. It may or may not work, but you might as well try the easy fix first, before you replace the whole board.

If it's a 'real' switch and not a membrane type, you can almost certianly get a replacement part and fit it yourself.
Can you post a photograph of the switch so we can see what type it may be.

Brian.

See push button micro switch picture attached.
Push_Button_Micro_Switch.jpg

Bob

This is a tactile switch , you can find it in any electronics store or ebay etc.

Got hundreds of them in my 'junk' box here. they are inexpensive and easy to get hold of.

Also check the back of the button on the panel itself, sometimes they have a protrusion that is supposed to target the moving (middle) part of the switch and they can break off so the pressure you apply can't operate it.

Where in the World are you? We can probably suggest a supplier local to you.

Brian.

I am in New York, just outside New York City (Great Neck). The posted picture I put up was from a website. The actual switch says sw302 on the circuit board but I guess that is not important.

Am I correct that the switch is a SMD Tactile Tact Push Button Micro Switch 6.2mm x 6.2mm as the specs?

Bob

Yes, that's the correct description. Newark electronics sell them but so do many other companies. The body size is fairly standard but be careful over the height of the plastic pusher. Some are almost flush to the body, some poke out 10mm or more from it. If you get the wrong height it won't fit or work back in the copier.

If you have or can get hold of an old VCR, these switches were almost universally used for the front panel play, rewind, pause etc. controls. You might ba able to salvage one.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back