Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PSU to peripheral reverse/polarity/feedback power input protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skrap78

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I have a problem I hope someone can help me with.
It has been many years since I studied electronics in school and I am seriously out of practice (and knowledge), I can probably solve this myself but I would have to return to my text books and study for a while.

I want to create an external power source from my HTPC. This is to be able to supply power to external peripherals without external power converters
The idea is to use the PSU as the power source and take a MOLEX plug (12Vdc and 5Vdc) and connect it to an recepticle (power jack) on the HTPC box.

This is primarily to power an external HDD (12V, 3A) without the power converter that came with it.

My worry is that /someone/ will think that the power jack is for power input and attach a power converter to it trying to feed power to the HTPC. The PSU can probably handle this but I am not so sure other components on the same 12V or 5V bus will fare as well.

So, I would like to build reverse/polarity/feedback power protection that will not feed power back into the HTPC from the power jack.

The components I will use are:
Power cable plug: Kycom KPPX-4P
Power recepticle, panel mount: Kycom KPJX-PM-4S
Connected to the power plug (by cable) will be standard cylindrical dc power plugs (3mm-8mm) as appropreate.

The Kycon connectors have 4 leads so they will match easilly with the Molex.

I would like to put the protection circuit just inside the box next to the recepticle.

I know there are circuits out there for this I just don't know what to look for.

I have not forgotten how to use my soldering iron so that is not a problem.

As small as possible or even fitting inside a shrink tube would be excellent.

Both the 12V and 5V needs to be individually protected.

I hope someone can take a little of their visdom and time to help me with this or at least point me in the right direction.

Sincerely,
Skrap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back