Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Want to dignose my IBM r51 dead laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

anil132299

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear Sandip Golani ,

I am very new to this site. After searching so many blogs regarding laptop repair, i come to your blogs. I have IBM R51 laptop, which was working fine some days back. last time i have connected external DVD rom (transcend brand) with my laptop and installed pirated XP . after that i watched full movie on my laptop. As my laptop battery is almost dead (back up is about 15 min) so i keep conneting the power cable with laptop. after completeing my movie i have shut down the laptop with porper procedure. But on next day when i was trying to on my laptop , it was not getting on.
I have dully checked the power cable, power jack which is present in laptop then the coming supply after the breakdown fuse. after that i am not able to diagnose my laptop. Please suggest some possible ways to check what could be the reason. No light is coming on my laptop.

When i checkd my laptop battery with digital meter , the battery was giving over voltage, like rating 10.48 but battery was giving 11.48 almost 1 volt extra. So this could be the reason for not power on of my laptop.I have dissassemble my laptop 4-5 times to check any damage whcih can be scene through naked eye. But havent found any such symptom.

Please suggest me some way by which i can check power on my motherboard. different sections where i can check power etc.

Exact modle is IBM thinkpad r51 2888-JQ1 S/NO L9-A0284 507.

Thanks & Regards
Anil

try checking the smps i feel that there might be some probable short circuit in it cause most of the voltage discrepancies arise there only

your battery is good. Did you have check any short circuit in ac in Section. Did you check 3.3v and 5 volts are present or not.??????
Dear Sandip Golani ,

I am very new to this site. After searching so many blogs regarding laptop repair, i come to your blogs. I have IBM R51 laptop, which was working fine some days back. last time i have connected external DVD rom (transcend brand) with my laptop and installed pirated XP . after that i watched full movie on my laptop. As my laptop battery is almost dead (back up is about 15 min) so i keep conneting the power cable with laptop. after completeing my movie i have shut down the laptop with porper procedure. But on next day when i was trying to on my laptop , it was not getting on.
I have dully checked the power cable, power jack which is present in laptop then the coming supply after the breakdown fuse. after that i am not able to diagnose my laptop. Please suggest some possible ways to check what could be the reason. No light is coming on my laptop.

When i checkd my laptop battery with digital meter , the battery was giving over voltage, like rating 10.48 but battery was giving 11.48 almost 1 volt extra. So this could be the reason for not power on of my laptop.I have dissassemble my laptop 4-5 times to check any damage whcih can be scene through naked eye. But havent found any such symptom.

Please suggest me some way by which i can check power on my motherboard. different sections where i can check power etc.

Exact modle is IBM thinkpad r51 2888-JQ1 S/NO L9-A0284 507.

Thanks & Regards
Anil

Hi kamal,

that's what is my question , menas i dont know where do i check these voltages as not aware of the laptop motherboard. pleae help me more. what exactly i should check.

thanks in advance. I dont want give my laptop to any third party vendor or repairer.

Regards
Anil

- - - Updated - - -

dear jeffery,

I have no idea , where i can locate smps for laptop. I think it should be in charging adaptar but that is fine . i chcek many times.
the voltage rating is 16 v and coming as 16.45 volt.

please tell me somthing about laptop diagnose.

Thanks & Regards
Anil

if there is no prob there then the cause of defect is over heating of the mother board but this does not instantly shut your system down

chk if the fan sounds when you turn the system on if you are not then the power is not adequately fed to your from the supply line itself

also chk if any warning led's are glowing like if you connect the power chord the battery charger led glows they may indicate and remove most of the things clouding our mind

if there is no prob there then the cause of defect is over heating of the mother board but this does not instantly shut your system down

chk if the fan sounds when you turn the system on if you are not then the power is not adequately fed to your from the supply line itself

also chk if any warning led's are glowing like if you connect the power chord the battery charger led glows they may indicate and remove most of the things clouding our mind

Dear Jeffery,

You are right , it may be due to over heat of the MB. But i am not able to make sure that whether this is due to overheat. because i am not able to check any warning light or nothing else. My laptop is completely dead. I tried many timeon ineternet to get schematic diagram for my motherboard. But every thing is useless. I got some manual but all those are user manual published from IBM . Please help me on getting the schematic diagram if possible. because i am sure that by seeing that i can come to some solution or conclusion.

Regards
Anil

over heat can not be detected easily check if the fan speed is normal that is the possible soln otherwise take it to a service station

i think issue is closed

Try to discharge your battery manually if possible to you.
If you found that the battery is working or delivering some voltages while discharging it manually then it does means that the very first circuit on laptop which is connected to battery is dead because if even a single circuit on the path of your supply to MB is working then you may get little bit noise during switching it on, or at least you may get fan in working condition even while the rest circuits are not working.

- - - Updated - - -

And I got a thread on edaboard for the schematics of laptop just try to find out yours :
Laptop_schematic_here

my dear friend jigar

do note that the battery capacity of anil's lap is very low look up in the posts and you will find
Try to discharge your battery manually if possible to you.
If you found that the battery is working or delivering some voltages while discharging it manually then it does means that the very first circuit on laptop which is connected to battery is dead because if even a single circuit on the path of your supply to MB is working then you may get little bit noise during switching it on, or at least you may get fan in working condition even while the rest circuits are not working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back