Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

va calculation for transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiren_dave

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi.

i required a transformer of 24v for 2A load. i saw a transformer with 24v and 2va. so i don't understand that what is va? can i use 2va for 2A load?

hi.

i required a transformer of 24v for 2A load. i saw a transformer with 24v and 2va. so i don't understand that what is va? can i use 2va for 2A load?

2VA is the power rating of the transformer.

Sure, you can have a 2A load but make sure the voltages match else if you connect a 12V to your 24V transformer, it may blow !

no it's wrong........
your requirement 24V, 2A so you need 48VA (24V*2A) transformer.
but 24V 2VA means you get 0.08A (2VA/24V). so it's not suitable for your requirement....

Yes it will work...but care is needed because both transformers primary winding direction And secondary winding direction must be same to get output.otherwise you get 0V output(12+(-12)=0). Best way you find a transformer 24v it is the best...easily available

ok..

if i want to generate 24v dc with 1A from 230v ac how can i??? any direct ic available or not??

Two major methods available to get dc.
1.Transformer
Transformer is cheapest method.
2.smps
Switch mode power supply(smps) is costly.
One more method is available very very cheapest but it's dangerous method by using capacitor step down the Ac voltage and rectify the voltage. But it will not handle higher currents

- - - Updated - - -

Best choose transformer... buy one transformer.. For what purpose you need DC supply.

hi,
for simple 24V/1A suply : 30 VA transformer (230/24), bridge rectifier+filter cond., LM7824 (with big radiator) or any series stabilizer with discrete components ....

if you are planning to convert the op of transformer into dc use rectifier (bridge should do ) then a filter and a zener diode as voltage regulator to regulate the op voltage

ok..

if i want to generate 24v dc with 1A from 230v ac how can i??? any direct ic available or not??

can i use two 12v transformer in series and use 24v ?

1. You can connect secondary windings of two 12V 1A of in series. If you get 0V output(12+(-12)=0) as mailus said, then simply reverse the connection of one
of the windings.

2. Do you have a 12V 2 Amp 12-0-12 transformer? Its end to end voltage is 24V. Use with a bridge rectifier

volt copy.png

Last edited:

direct copling may build small laging in voltage due to indutive reactance so there is a need of a cap couplig between the two transformers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back