Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

NMOS drain does not connect with VDD, PMOS drain does not connect with GND,why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

threekingtiger

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Today I was told by a guy that I would better not connect the drain of NMOS with VDD directly in NMOS source follower and not
connect the drain of PMOS with GND in PMOS source follower. That's obviously not mentioned in text books.

Could someone tell me why? For ESD consideration?For Latch-up consideration? I've no idea.

I work in an 8V SiGe BiCMOS process. We have VCC GND=0 and VEE! Probably you are a digital designer! :p

... better not connect the drain of NMOS with VDD directly in NMOS source follower
and not connect the drain of PMOS with GND in PMOS source follower.

IMHO there's no reason to avoid such a connection, after all it's the standard connection for source followers.

For complementary source followers, however, the layout guy should be informed not to get the two drains (of such a complementary source follower pair) too close, because then the created lateral (p+ n p n+) thyristor structure is prone to latchUp, which in this case would be lethal.

Here, an indirect connection to GND resp. VDD (e.g. via current limiting inverters) would prevent such a latchUp disaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back