Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is this possible to design smps with single micro-controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mithun_K_Das

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Is this possible to design micro-controller based smps? I mean only one MCU will handle all the mechanism? especially any pic microcontroller?

Peinciple answer: yes. You are creating a time-discrete feedback controller, the processing time adds to your total loop deadtime. Achievable controller dynamic will be limited by the processor speed. Typically fast uCs like dsPIC are used for this purpose.

Reactions: tpetar

tpetar

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
See this:

These are some experiments to use a PIC as a complete SMPS. As a PIC has everything needed; push-pull FET output pins and the ability to oscillate, and to measure and regulate voltage and current it might be possible to use a PIC as a complete SwitchMode Power Supply.

If the PIC output pin is oscillated at a high enough frequency into an inductor it performs exactly as a SMPS Buck regulator with synchonous rectification. Basically that means it will convert +5v to a lower voltage with quite high efficiency.

PIC-SMPS
https://www.romanblack.com/smps/pic-smps.htm

Thanks for your link tpetar.
But, will PIC able to generate so high frequency that SMPS need? Such as 200KHz? I tried with 12F & 16F series... and got 52KHz max.

I tried with 12F & 16F series... and got 52KHz max.
200 kHz won't work without hardware PWM, available at least for many PIC16 devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back