Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Should "sine" or "cosine" function be used to represent currents in a 3-ph system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

powersys

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Should "sine" or "cosine" function be used to represent currents in a 3-ph system?

Assume a balanced three-phase system.
Each phase current contains harmonics: 1st, 5th, 7th, ...
If I would like to write the phase current in an equation form, should "sine" (Case-A) or "cosine" (Case-B) function be used?
Please note that the plot (see below) for iA written using "sine" function is different from that using "cosine" function.

Last edited:

Re: Should "sine" or "cosine" function be used to represent currents in a 3-ph system

Looking where the sine fundamental crosses zero: Notice a similar slope in its harmonics.

This is not the case with the cosine. The 7th harmonic runs crosswise where the fundamental crosses zero.

Picture if you were to apply positive DC to an idle system. During the initial moment, I think all harmonics would start going in the same direction, namely positive.

So it seems to me you should go with the sine function rather than cosine.

Re: Should "sine" or "cosine" function be used to represent currents in a 3-ph system

IIRC, cosine is more traditional. This is from the phasor representation with e^jw used to represent phase A. real(e^jw) = cosine.

If 'sine' is used, which case (Case-S or Case-T) is correct?

For example, should the 5th harmonic of phase-B be expressed as "I5sin[5(ω-2π/3)]" or "I5sin(5ω - 2π/3)"?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back