Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Voltage controlled current source

Status
Not open for further replies.

sudiipta

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I have made one vccs on breadboard and which is working. But I have a problem with the circuit. Actually I want to source and sink +/- 100 mAmp through a load of 500 ohm. My circuit is unable to draw that current. How can I modify for my requirement? I am attaching the circuit.
https://obrazki.elektroda.pl/2_1344599918.png

Thanks

0.1A*500E will be 50V. In this type of configuration the output across load cannot swing more than the applied vcon. Transistor emitter output will not be more than +/-12v as the opamp can swing only till +/-12v(ve=vb-0.7).

Do you think only high voltage opamp such as OPA445 will serve the purpose? Or can you suggest some alternate approach for the current source?
0.1A*500E will be 50V. In this type of configuration the output across load cannot swing more than the applied vcon. Transistor emitter output will not be more than +/-12v as the opamp can swing only till +/-12v(ve=vb-0.7).

Do you think only high voltage opamp such as OPA445 will serve the purpose?
In general, yes. But even OPA445 will stand only ±45V .

Or can you suggest some alternate approach for the current source?

Try something like the "inverted Howland Current Source" seekIC,com.jpg **broken link removed**.

For ±50V power supplies, two 47V Zener diodes should do the job (I'd hope).

Status
Not open for further replies.