Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Requirements for image processing on FPGA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robin Khosla

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am working on a project in which i want to read images from a camera and compare it with images stores in external device such a pen drive.and then display the matched image on crt.....

Is this possible ...
If yes then what are the requirements for this project??
E.g.
Is xilinx virtex6 good enough to do this work and does it have a usb port??
Which camera shall i use??

Re: Image processing on fpga

1. Yes it is possible.
2. Requirements will be to read an image from external device and compare it to the image off the camera.
3. Yes. It can have any interface you want so long as you write or connect in the controller for such a device. FPGAs do not have "ports", just a load of general purpose IO. You can connect whatever interface you like (ethernet, USB, RS232 etc). But you have to either write the controller for it, or get someone else to do it for you. A USB controller is very complex and you will have to pay someone (probably a few thousand dollars) to get the IP.

4. Whatever camera you want.

Re: Image processing on fpga

problem solved

camera can be any
FPGA can be any probably greater series than spartan-3, however i have not tested on spartan-3, but tested on virtex-5
the thing is that an external ram is required to store the large amount of video data to do some image process of it.

however spartan-3 supports only 3-bit i.e. 8 colours so better option is to go with high end FPGA's

can you send me code for this

you can get the reference code from digilent website

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back