Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Convert Pulse Train w/ both positive and negative pulse

Status
Not open for further replies.

kieshpup

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I am looking to Convert a Pulse Train w/ both positive and negative pulses into a suitable form to be used by an FPGA board. I have to also keep track whether the pulse was positive or negative.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks

Do you mean a debouncing circuit?

Hi,

I am looking to Convert a Pulse Train w/ both positive and negative pulses into a suitable form to be used by an FPGA board. I have to also keep track whether the pulse was positive or negative.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks

If you could provide a diagram of what you are trying to capture, we might be able to better assist you. Just right of the bat though, it seems like you will need a state machine to process the incoming data.

Also, what exactly do you mean by negative pulses. Applying an actual "negative" voltage to the FPGA pins will damage the device.

Regards,
Willis

The easiest way is to level-shift the pulse train up into the positive region.

Attenuate as necessary so it ranges from zero to 5V (or your supply V).

Incoming positive pulses will become higher than V/2.
Incoming negative pulses will become less than V/2.
Idle periods will be at about V/2.

You must set thresholds for these ranges, so the FPGA can discern what to call an incoming signal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back