Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can your scope do realtime video decoding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jokkebk

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi!

Here's a cool hack I came up with during the weekend, and surprisingly enough, proved to feasible: Capturing composite video NTSC signal with a USB oscilloscope (Picoscope 2204 to be exact, they have a nice C API), and decoding it realtime to emulate a composite display in software:

https://codeandlife.com/2012/07/31/realtime-composite-video-decoding-with-picoscope/

I'm not aware that this would'be been done before? I've seen serial decoding and video signal analysis using oscilloscopes, but not video signal decoding. It was a fun project, and now I don't need to get a second display to view graphics from my Raspberry Pi, as I can just plug it into my oscilloscope and view the picture on PC (granted, the picture quality is only enough for seeing if something works or not)

Nice : ) I didn't realise the RaspPi had SD composite output too.

Nice : ) I didn't realise the RaspPi had SD composite output too.

Yes, it was a complete surprise to me, too. I had thought the yellow RCA connector was for S/PDIF audio. Also, the Pi can output both NTSC and PAL signal in multiple aspect ratios. Haven't tried that or different resolutions yet, though.

The Dynamco D700 CRO ( late 60s) had this facility on its TV plug-in along with strobing out individual lines. In 1970 I built a even/odd frame decoder so you could inspect the ITS on odd/even fields. (And a 120V pulse amplifier to brighten up the display to view the 2T pulse) :)
Frank

Wow, sounds like that one was really ahead of its time! And I thought I had thought up something new when I did that 45 years later. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.