Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need advise: I need to read data from a rotating wheel, one way, data rate >2Mbps

Status
Not open for further replies.

maniana

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I need to read data from a rotating wheel,one way, required data rate >2Mbps.
I can place an antenna only on the perimiter. the distance between rx and tx antenna can be small (10mm).
The wheel rotates at 22 000 rpm, diameter about 20cm.
there is already a coil for delivering the power to the wheel.

Can anyone suggest some solutions to the problem? Are there any integrated solutions that can be used at >2Mbps ?
I imagine this could be some kind of active RFID chip, or something completely different.
Chips like Chipcon have a data rate that is too slow for me and I don't know whether tx-rx would work when rotating at 22000rpm.

Re: need advise: I need to read data from a rotating wheel, one way, data rate >2Mbps

I need to read data from a rotating wheel,one way, required data rate >2Mbps.
I can place an antenna only on the perimiter. the distance between rx and tx antenna can be small (10mm).
The wheel rotates at 22 000 rpm, diameter about 20cm.
there is already a coil for delivering the power to the wheel.

Can anyone suggest some solutions to the problem? Are there any integrated solutions that can be used at >2Mbps ?
I imagine this could be some kind of active RFID chip, or something completely different.
Chips like Chipcon have a data rate that is too slow for me and I don't know whether tx-rx would work when rotating at 22000rpm.

While I have always worked with microwaves, for this case I think using IR or visible light will work best. Instead of developing the system, use an existing IR fast data link available in commercial short-range systems. Try google to get the best option.

Re: need advise: I need to read data from a rotating wheel, one way, data rate >2Mbps

We have at the moment a system with IR diodes on the perimeter, but for various reasons this is not the solution that we want to use.
I was thinking about some kind of transmission through EM filed using the coil.

Modems used for power line communication or wired wide band communication (e.g. DSL) can be a solution.

You need to think about suitable coil and respective field geometries. Without knowing the mechanical design details, we can't contribute much in this regard.

Using a coil means using VHF or UHF, then it may be difficult to achieve 2 Mb/s. Instead of IR diodes on perimeter, I would use a single IR LED on the axis, with a plastic disk like a light guide to prevent rotation to disturb the 360 degree beam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back