Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Trigger transformer circuit for xenon flash lamp is unusual...why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
godfreyl..........
The diode does seem to be in a sensible place now

Though FvM has said that the diode (if used at all) should be across R1, not where i've put it in the immediately above thread.

Where do you think the diode would be best put?...........

By the way, i do not know of a reason to include C6, so im leaving it out.
...All i am interested in is getting a decent trigger pulse and not overvoltaging any components due to broken inductive current

FvM
As said, a SCR doesn't turn off while the current is positive, thus there's no voltage peak.

...so are you saying that the SCR can be turned off when the current is negative in it?
..I would have thought the reverse recovery time in an SCR was enormous?

BT168G is an SCR
**broken link removed**

...Page 5 of the datasheet says it takes 100us to turn off

In the actual circuit , we are using a thyristor, and the trigger circuitry stopped working after about 3 minutes, and i noticed that the resistor that connects up to the rail (R1) was a virtual open circuit.
....i then rep[laced this resistor, replaced the thyristor, replaced the trigger transformer, and put a diode from the trigger transformer up to the rail, and its worked ok since then.

My only worry, as i said, is that the trigger transformer had been sabotaged by our contractors......i am not sure......

Last edited:

...so are you saying that the SCR can be turned off when the current is negative in it?
..I would have thought the reverse recovery time in an SCR was enormous?
Please review my statement. I didn't say when the SCR will be finally turned off, I discussed when it's not turned off. The simulation suggests, that the SCR turns off after the oscillation has decayed. The waveform is almost identical to a MOSFET switch with an on-time of several 100 us. I already mentioned before, that the MOSFET circuit can be operated this way, see post #16.

You can omit the free wheeling diode in your simulation circuit without changing the waveform.

Status
Not open for further replies.