Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DigCam->USB->PC --- Motherboard Burnt. URGENT!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicleo

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I tried to transfer captured photos from digital camera (olympus) to PC through USB. The procedures that I carried out are as follows:
1) PC is ON.
2) Digital camera is OFF.
3) Connect the USB cable to the USB port at front panel of the PC (see figure).
4) Connect the USB cable to the digital camera USB port.
5) Power on the digital camera by pressing a 'POWER' button on the camera.

From 1 ~ 4, everything was OK. But when (5) was implemented, I heard a 'cracking' sound and got some 'ic-burnt' smell. After that, I found a hole (tiny hole) on top of a chipset (i.e. Intel FW82801EB).

Would anyone pls advise why this can happen? I guess the incident happened because a short-circuit happened between the Vbus and GND of the USB cable.
The USB was used 20 minutes before the incident happened. So I guess it should be still in good condition.
I suspect it happened because either of the connection at PC or the digital camera. I guess improper connection at digital camera site is more probable because if the connection at PC site has problem (e.g. Vbus short to GND), then it should have burnt the motherboard before reaching procedure (5). What actually happened at the digital camera when the POWER button was pressed? Really don't understand. Hope someone who's good in USB could advise. Thanks.

I thought USB is designed to plug 'lively', i.e. plugged into a 'live' computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back