Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DAC with serial SPI interface

Status
Not open for further replies.

*Nikola*

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I need 8 DACs and I need that all 8 channel conversion time is maximal 1 microsecond.

There are some 8 channel DACs which are SPI, but conversion time from digital to analog is about 7-8 us...

So, I wondered are there some 8 channel DAC which could convert all channels in maximal 1us with SPI serial interface or I must take 8 separated DACs which would be work synchronously (which would share the same clock, but separated Data inputs - somehow as 8 separated SPI interfaces if it is possible; I would be use Cyclone III starter kit outputs to drive all 8 DACs).

...or to use 8 DACs with parallel interface which would require 96 pins (only for data inputs to each DAC 8x12bits) for 12-bit DACs, which will much faster as I think...

I need answers ASAP!!!

Thanks in advance!

Nikola.

Why do you need such a fast DAC?

I need fast conversion because in my control algorithm I use signal 25-50 us (20-40kHz), and I have to make some analog signals which would be let say 50 times higher frequency or even more...

Can anybody tell me is there possibility what I mentioned or something else?

Nikola.

I have search using the keyword "Mhz DAC pdf".
Seems that there are DAC which is of high speed.
How about ADV7128, TDA8777?
They are DAC for video signal. These are in Mhz.

Why not use a 8x S&H with synchronous hold then DEMUX 8 channels and 12bit DAC with 0.1uS conversion time ?
For S/P conversion 100Mbps serial bandwidth is needed for 2 bytes 12bit DAC 3 bit ch# or use a synchronous channel.

Last edited:

Why not use a 8x S&H with synchronous hold then DEMUX 8 channels and 12bit DAC with 0.1uS conversion time ?
For S/P conversion 100Mbps serial bandwidth is needed for 2 bytes 12bit DAC 3 bit ch# or use a synchronous channel.

Hello Sunny. I am not sure that I understood you... Actually, I am a beginner so could you please describe me your idea, but a bit simpler.

Can you send me links to datasheets for devices which you would use in this application? I think that this will be much better to understand what you mean...

Thanks a lot.

Nikola.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.