Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Instrumentation versus Fully Differential Amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gecko1

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I understand my question might be a little to broad, but I was wondering what should be considered when selecting between either using a fully differential or instrumentation amplifier before an ADC?

My design consists of three stages, an RFI filter, pre-amplifier (FDA or In-Amp) and low-pass filter before the ADC. The ADC I am using will accept both single and differential inputs. I would prefer to use the differential input because I can obtain better resolution.

I am interested in low frequency signals (<1 Hz), and the source impedance is variable.

Please let me know there are any other details that would help answer the questions.
thanks.:grin:

either using a fully differential or instrumentation amplifier before an ADC?
depends upon the nature of sensed signal.
If you are concerned about offset,CMRR and also higher gain of the input signal, then IA will be useful. Best of luck.

If the LPF is made from passive elements I prefer to have a buffer as 1st stage, RFI, another buffer, and LPF. So the overall performance is not a function from the signal source impedance. This scenario assumes IA as a buffer.

Status
Not open for further replies.