Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Microstrip Patch arrays design

Status
Not open for further replies.

oggi

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all, I wirte you because i have to design a microstrip Patch antenna in 2.412GHz for

wireless aplications. I am using IE3D software to simulate the array. I need that the array

has 19 dbi of gain, ROE < 1.4 and a smoller front to back lobule.
I don´t know how to calculate the finite ground plane, its dimension. I am using array of 16

patch antenna. I want to know to how to calculate the optimal feed point for the array.
any idea?

Some features of the antenna are:

f=2.412GHz
dielectric constant=4.4
metalic layer:copper
hight sustrate: 0.78mm

Thanks for your help.-

Microstrip fix arrays design

dear oggi :
i am also a newbie in antenna modeling designe .
i didnt use ie3d to simulate antenna arrays ,but i know cst 5 have some examples of arrays .
but i don;t how to control the parameters such as gain or others . do you have some refencenes about array design with software ?
my email is : fanqikai@163.com
thanks

Hi,

very good books for Antenna design & modeling are

1. CAD of Microstrip Antennas for Wireless Applications
by Robert A. Sainati

and

2. Compact and Broadband Microstrip Antennas
by Kin-Lu-Wong, A Wiley Interscience Publication

if need any of the above....

Eear Manjunatha_hv:
is there electrical books of above two ?

try to simulation the antenna factor....

you can tune the distance between the elements and phase difference or reading the antenna book to calculate the distance...

Hi, Oggi: I would suggest you to try to optimize your element and 4-patch array using infinite ground plane first. Input impedance is normally not affected by the size and shape of the antenna much. You can optimize it to get good match first. IE3D has built-in optimizers to help you optimize antenna perforamnces (S11, Z, or even pattern parameters). To defining pattern parameteres as optimization goals, you should try to enable pattern calculation in Optimization Setup first. Then, you can choose many of antenna's properties as goals. After you get the matchiing etc. optimized, you can build the finite ground plane model to improve the pattern. It normally takes much more time to simulate and optimize the finite ground plane model than the infinite ground plane model.

Status
Not open for further replies.