Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] On amplifier circuit with closed loop gain less than 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hyleeinhit

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

Is there anyone who ever built such a kind of circuit with amplifier:
The closed loop gain is lower than 1 (ex:0.1 or 0.01).

How to select the amplifier phase margin? What is the specific relation between the closed gain and phase margin? Thanks.

I know that for closed loop gain larger or equal to 1, the phase margin should be 60 or 45 degree.

Inverting or non-inverting?
* Inverting: No problem with A=-R2/R1, phase margin will be smaller of course (critical)
* Non-inverting: Why not simply use a resistive voltage divider and a unity gain buffer in series?

- - - Updated - - -

What is the specific relation between the closed gain and phase margin?

There is no general formula that contains this relation as it strongly depends on the particular opamp characteristic.

Inverting or non-inverting?
* Inverting: No problem with A=-R2/R1, phase margin will be smaller of course (critical)
* Non-inverting: Why not simply use a resistive voltage divider and a unity gain buffer in series?

- - - Updated - - -

What is the specific relation between the closed gain and phase margin?

There is no general formula that contains this relation as it strongly depends on the particular opamp characteristic.

You gave a really good point with a non-inverting structure.

Actually, I set up a simple test with LM741 operated under 10V. The closed loop gain was at a very small value and input amplitude is 3V. The output can be as low as 5mV regardless of the noise without oscillation. It turns out that the phase margin of LM741 is enough for low closed gain operation although I have no idea about the exact value (datasheet does not show it).

It turns out that the phase margin of LM741 is enough for low closed gain operation although I have no idea about the exact value (datasheet does not show it).

The "exact value" (as exact as possible using the macro models available) can be found via loop gain simulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back