Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Xilinx Zynq or Altera ARM Cortex or Altera Atom-based FPGA ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

javoon2005

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to buy a processor-based FPGA.

1. I don't know the difference of xilinx & altera products.
a) which one (xilinx or altera) is better for industrial applications?
b) problem of working with these new processor-based products.

2. These new products (Zynq & Altera SoC FPGA) are program with VHDL?
(I mean for processor part of these products, I should use another language or software or it is done by the same VHDL?)

Thanks

1. I don't know the difference of xilinx & altera products.
a) which one (xilinx or altera) is better for industrial applications?
b) problem of working with these new processor-based products.
There is no such things as "the best", it all depends on the application. So: determine your exact requirements, find out which part(s) suit those requirements, go from there.

2. These new products (Zynq & Altera SoC FPGA) are program with VHDL?
(I mean for processor part of these products, I should use another language or software or it is done by the same VHDL?)
I assume you'd use Verilog or VHDL to design the FPGA part of such a SoC (= equivalent to designing logic hardware), and for example C, C++ or other language to program the integrated processor part(s). Check out available documentation / forums etc to find out more...

The Zynq-7000 has a dual-core Cortex A9 processing system and a programmable logic (fpga). It boots like a processor and has standard peripherals (hard peripherals). you can compile and run C code on the processing system just like you would do on a normal ASSP (TI OMAP for instance). if you want to add custom peripherals code them using VHDL/Verilog. This would create you a bitstream file. This file can be programmed to the FPGA by the ARM processing system. there are a lot of operating system that are supported for the ZYNQ. This ZYNQ is also currently available in the market and they have evaluation boards which you can order from zedboard.org or https://www.xilinx.com/products/boards-and-kits/EK-Z7-ZC702-G.htm
For more documentation refer to https://www.xilinx.com/products/silicon-devices/epp/zynq-7000/index.htm?from=lmhp

Thanks for helpful answers.
I have another problem. I couldn't find any evaluation board for Altera processor based FPGAs. Is there any evaluation board for these family?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back