Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Controlling 230V 100W Electric Bulb using 8051 microcontroller.

Status
Not open for further replies.

snayak

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I am designing a 8051 microcontroller system. It has ports for interfacing.
How can I control a 230V 100W Electric Bulb using 8051 microcontroller ports?

In essence, how do we control high voltage applications using 8051 microcontroller?

Sincerely,
Srinivas Nayak

Hi snayak

You will control the electrical component, based on the driver circuit which is specific for that application ...
In my point of view control the TTL logic pin to the relay Driver circuit, by using this relay you can very well control the electrical applications by microcontroller port pins......

upto switching on and off of your appliances you can go for the relay circuits which are very useful .
But when you go for very fast switching time situations like varying the speed of the fan or the brightness variation of the bulb the relays will be of no use as their switching times will in order of some milliseconds so there we have to go for the optocoupler and triacs which have much more faster switching times

You can use zerocrossing optocoupler and triac for this.

1299904313_32495_FT45415_pwm.jpg

Of course always is there relay option :

1233830093_426_FT17767_relay_example_.jpg

Difference between this two is in that, relay dont dissipate some power, and solid state dissipate and need small heatsink. In your case of 100W triac need very small heatsink.

You can use zerocrossing optocoupler and triac for this.
I don't think it will work practically why because we are intended to control using PWM signal but because of the MOC 3041 it will be triggered at zero crossing irrespective of pwm .

We are supposed to use a non zerocrossing optocoupler and a zero detection circuit whose output is given to interrupt pin of the microcontroller and programmed accordingly.................

Any clarification is appreciated

Last edited:

Your original thread post says :

Hi,

I am designing a 8051 microcontroller system. It has ports for interfacing.
How can I control a 230V 100W Electric Bulb using 8051 microcontroller ports?

In essence, how do we control high voltage applications using 8051 microcontroller?

Sincerely,
Srinivas Nayak

On given circuit also is used PWM signal.

Can You explain "How can I control a 230V 100W Electric Bulb" ?

What you mean under control ? (on/off, dimmer,...)

Thread starting post should have all needed element for discussion.

I don't think it will work practically why because we are intended to control using PWM signal but because of the MOC 3041 it will be triggered at zero crossing irrespective of pwm .

We are supposed to use a non zerocrossing optocoupler and a zero detection circuit whose output is given to interrupt pin of the microcontroller and programmed accordingly.................

Any clarification is appreciated

The zero cross detection circuit is the most critical part when designing a dimmer. This circuit will watch the input power waveform and detect when this waveform crosses the 0 point and becomes 0 volts.

Zero cross detection circuits are mainly used in cases when the dimmers needs to be controlled from a micro controller. In that case, the micro-controller needs to know the zero cross detection point of the waveform, so that it can calculate the angle offset to send the trigger pulse to the gate of the triac.

**broken link removed**

In electronics everything can be done, exactly everything, even things that we cant do today and dont know how, tomorrow or in near future will be usuall things.

void main(void)
{
unsigned long temp=0;
trisa=0xff;///porta as input for getting temperature analog value
adcon1=0;///adc declared
trisd=0;/////portd as o/p
trisc=0xff;///portc as i/p
for(;;)
{
temp=adc_read(0);
temp=temp*500;
temp=temp/1023;
if(temp>38)
temp=18;
else
temp=temp-20;
if(portc.f0==1) ///zero crossing detector
{
vdelay_ms(18-(temp));
portd.f0=1;
delay_us(500);
portd.f0=0;
}

}
}
tested mikroc code

For driving high-voltage load from a signal from 8051, you need a device that can drive the load. You can use a relay for this. Or you can use a triac for this.

If you need to only turn the load on/off, relay may be simpler.

If you use triac, the advantage is that it is a solid-state device and you can control the switching to adjust power.

You can use other devices, such as solid-state relay, SCRs, etc.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

Reactions: snayak

snayak

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.