Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Suggest me a way to rotate Potentiometer know through microcontroller

Status
Not open for further replies.

0killingsoul0

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
In one of my project i have to rotate potentiometer knob through microcontroller . I have to distribute the 360 degree rotation of knob in ten steps. Is their any other way without using servo or stepper motor ??

Is their any other way without using servo or stepper motor ??

Maybe,
But what's wrong with using a servo or stepper ?

- - - Updated - - -

Also,
If all you need is variable resistance, you'll do much better with a digital potentiometer instead of rotating a mechanical one...

for me its better to user stepper motor since you are controlling it by steps

I tried with stepper but running a stepper motor is a heck of job. Firstly finding a right sequence to rotate is difficult , then it draws too much current ( about 1 to 1.5 amperes) , thirdly stpper motor i tried with rotates with too much slow speed.

I haven't tried servo, will it be easy doing it? Cant there be some other electro mechanical mechanism to do the job?

- - - Updated - - -

I tried with stepper but running a stepper motor is a heck of job. Firstly finding a right sequence to rotate is difficult , then it draws too much current ( about 1 to 1.5 amperes) , thirdly stpper motor i tried with rotates with too much slow speed.

I haven't tried servo, will it be easy doing it? Cant there be some other electro mechanical mechanism to do the job?

A hobby grade servo is easy to rotate to a desired angle - this is done with a PWM peripherial.
But again, why don't you use a digital potentiometer ?

digital potentiometer ic's are difficult to find here in Pakistan or you will have to import it, which takes time , which i dont have :). Can you name some commonly used digital potentiometers so i should have a look at local market?

Status
Not open for further replies.