Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Primary and Secondary DNS

Status
Not open for further replies.

ponnus

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hai all,
I am using SIM900 supported GSM modem.
I am able to send and receive data through Gprs. But I'm not configuring the primary and secondary DNS. My doubt is that is it necessary to configure these? Does configuring this increases the transfer speed?

Thanks

Thanks for your reply.
Can you explain it in detail?
So,what is the benefit of giving primary and secondary DNS address?

Primary is always used, when he is out then secondary take job. Often DNS server is dedicated computer for that purposes, example one PC for primary and one for secondary, if you shutdown primary DNS PC, secondary DNS PC will take over clients requests for DNS resolution. Sometimes in some heavily loaded systems is used round robin which make load balancing between DNS servers, and is possible to have longer list of DNS servers.

Hai,
So, can you tell me what happens if I don't give Primary and Secondary DNS address in my Gsm modem?

Thanks

Page not found or some kind of error page will popup. :) Or hosts are unable to establish communication because that.

Often mobile network providers give TCP/IP settings over DHCP service automatically.

Hai tpetar,
I am using a gprs client and gprs server, just for data transfer. and I am able to transfer data successfully without giving DNS addresses. So, do I need to give the addresses or is it only applicable for HTTP/FTP servers.

Thanks

Hai tpetar,
I am using a gprs client and gprs server, just for data transfer. and I am able to transfer data successfully without giving DNS addresses. So, do I need to give the addresses or is it only applicable for HTTP/FTP servers.

Thanks

No my friend your mobile service provider give you DNS automaticly probably via configuration message. There is no communication on any TCP/IP network without DNS, its possible only if you know and supply IP address of destination host.

Reactions: ponnus

ponnus

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back