Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Variable current source design issue : ~1.5A

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFW Z33

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys, I am a new member here. I have been lurking for a while though and really gaining a lot from reading the forums as a non-member. I now have a design issue of my own that I can't resolve and so I figured I'd join and see if yall can help :grin:

I am designing a variable current source that can deliver between 0 and 1.5A (does not have to be absolutely 0, but the lower the better). I designed a circuit in PSPice that simulates the exact results I am looking for, however my actual circuit is not outputting more than 200mA. Any help would be much appreciated! I will post schematic and specs below.

(I suspect the transistor may be a bottleneck for current flow since it is getting VERY hot)

Specs:
- uA741 opamp
- 12V 1.5A rated wallwart power supply
- A42B331 High voltage transistor
- 1/4 watt resistors (I know they are under-rated for this power level, but I dont mind frying a few while I use them as a test load)

Schematic:
LD Driver Schematic.png

You can ignore the two switches and transistor on the far left of the circuit. They are just there for triggering the circuit when I put it into my larger design. The output current was the same with them just tied to ground.

For anyone wondering, this is going to be a laser diode driver for a 1 Watt diode.

Thanks very much!
John

A 2N2222 is too small. You need to use a power transistor e.g. 2N3055, mounted on a heatsink.

Next problem is the 741 doesn't have enough current to drive the power transistor, so you need to use a Darlington arrangement e.g. 2n2222 + 2n3055.

Something like this:

Last edited:
ok that makes perfect sense! I had an idea the transistor was the weak link. I will have to make a run to radio shack to pick up a power transistor tomorrow. Thanks so much!

A couple more thoughts.....
  • I would use a 1 Ohm resistor instead of 5 Ohms for the current sensing, to reduce the voltage loss and power dissipation.
  • IIRC, a 741's inputs can't go all the way down to the negative supply rail, so it's probably a good idea to use a different opamp, or change the biasing.

thanks again! I will adjust the biasing and pick up a shunt resistor while I am there :grin:

That worked like a charm! I went and picked up a TP120 darlington transistor from radio shack, and I used a diode to raise the voltage bias at R-sense, and now Im able to draw over an Amp of current! Thanks a million!

Status
Not open for further replies.