Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MicroOs RTOS learning

Status
Not open for further replies.

kumar_r83

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello friends ,

I want to learn ARM programming and need to know how to write drivers for I2C and SPI protocols i need to learn in depth about Real time operating systems for this i have chosen Micro OS II .Please suggest me which board(reasonable price) to chose for my above requirements and how do i start learning and the necessary tools required for the same .

RTOS, I2C and SPI are separate things, so probably best to learn them one at a time, and order it so that the RTOS is last.
For uC/OS-II it's probably best to purchase the related book (it states in simple language how it works). However,
you should also read a generic book on RTOS too, so that you're aware that all things uC/OS-II are not necessarily
the only way to do things, nor the best way - remember that uC-OS-II was written at a time when memory was seriously
constrained - nowadays we have more memory and processing capability and more peripherals, and we may want to
exploit these in an OS with more capabilities. Anyway, that's just a personal opinion, I've not looked to see if
it has improved over the years, maybe it has.
For I2C, the best way to learn is to look at a Philips/NXP datasheet for an I2C i.c, and compare it to example code
found on the web, it is quite simple, and can be debugged easily with a scope.
For SPI, usually you don't need to do much, just follow the instructions in the manual for the particular microcontroller
that you're using, since usually many microcontrollers have a built-in peripheral to handle SPI.
Olimex make some low cost ARM boards. An example low cost ic is AT91SAM7S series.

Please let me know how to start with the uC/OS-II .

I thought I did - the author's book is _highly_ recommended, if you wish to go with uC/OS-II.
It contains detailed information, including diagrams and tables that make it very clear - you're not going to
find that level of information anywhere else.

In my view first you try to do the project to learn the interfaces like SPI UART I2C etc....Once that is done then it is better for you first read some concept of RTOS and then to go for real time operating system....as some of the embedded related work will be already done....If you try to do both simultaneously then it will be more confusing....and as you follow this guide line you will achive both the targets.....remember writting drivers for interfaces and using them throught the RTOS are two seprate things and need some time spent on both of them...

Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back