Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Working PICkit2 clone; through-hole components; single sided PCB; minimal design

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuiRitter

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone.

Finally I was able to finish the clone. I based mine on this design:

**broken link removed**

I've attached my design with a few modifications, which have been discussed in this forum, on my previous thread. Also attached is the PCB layout I created from scratch, using Proteus ISIS and ARES. My friend made the board using screen printing (serigraphy), we used iron(III) chloride to etch the copper, a certain tool that I don't know the name to punch the holes, and then I soldered the components. Some of those were scavenged.

The ICSP provides power to the target, drawing from the USB. At first, I wanted to wait to see what would be the best way to make the ICSP connector. Since I was excited to see it working, I ended up soldering pieces of wire. Some kludging was necessary elsewhere, since the inductor's leads were thicker than expected, I lacked the proper tools to make the holes for the USB connector, and the PIC's socket got two broken pins.

When I connected it to my netbook running Windows 7, it was promptly recognized and the driver (?) was installed. The PICkit2 software also recognized the circuit. Then I built a test circuit, on a protoboard, to test the target PIC, a 16F877A. After a few struggling because I was dumb enough to forget two wires, it worked like a charm.

Also attached a photo of the almost finished product. But it's just a reference, because the quality is really crappy. If requested and if I find a better camera, I'll shoot another photo.

Tomorrow, I will make a program to print on a LCD screen to test it better. Until then, I fully recommend this design. Thanks again for those who helped me on my previous thread.

Update: LCD didn't worked, but the program also flashed a LED, which worked, so it could be the LCD's fault or my wiring. I shall look into that later, but not soon.

Attachments:
Schematic: View attachment esquemático.PDF
Layout: View attachment layout.PDF
Board lacking PIC and ICSP: 07062012587.jpg

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back