Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to simulate a PCB design for EM effects in ADS

Status
Not open for further replies.

randy_sl

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I have an PCB designed in Altium Designer 9. I want to simulate in ADS to identify the potential problems in microwave freqencies.

I manage to export the top and bottom layers to ADS and configured the substrate using gerber files.

I want to add via holes between the top and bottom layers.
I saw the VIA holes in the toolbar. When I add it, the top and bottom pads are visible in the 3D View,
the plated interconnection (cylindrical part which connects the top and bottom layers).

I'm not sure whether there is a connection between two layers.

Is there an easy way to import the via holes and include in ADS for EM simulations.

cheers,
Randy

The easiest way is to transfer your via holes as another Gerber file.
Then, you can map that layer as a via layer for the EM solver.

Hello,

I'm a new member, I have a PCB file (*.pcb) routed with ALTIUM and I want to simulate it with ADS (momentum), I've tried many times without result I don't khow how to import this file with ADS.

Please help me

Bou

Try this way...
Open ADS - click window - click new layout - click file (in layout) - click import (Now import window will pop up) -
select your PCB format in "File type" - click OK

If the other suggestions have not worked for you, you want to say the ALTUM file
as a DFX file , then import that to Momentum. It might not have the er, # of layers,
etc.. imbedded in the DFX, but it will give you the art work.

10x for your answers
I've used Altium to save a DFX file and I can now import it to ADS :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back