Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

4-8 Channel ADC for Altera DE2-115 using Simultaneous Sampling

Status
Not open for further replies.

yash1709

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
We are building an Educational Embedded Computing System for a Road Profiler. I am incharge of taking care of the ADC interface to the DE2-115 board. Can anyone please suggest a suitable 16-bit standalone ADC which has on-chip flash memory, 4-8 Channels, Minimum Sampling Rate 1Mhz, Simultaneous Sampling Possible with all channels active and acquiring data, and that can be interfaced to the DE2-115 board using any protocol say I2C or using the HSMC interface?

There are card available by Terasic, but they only have a 2 Channel 14-bit ADCs which can be interfaced to the HSMC connector.

Also, we will be connecting a laser through the Ethernet Connector on the board and processing data. Is it possible to have Parallel Processing of the Data where all the data from the 4 Channels on the ADC and the data from the Laser can be simultaneously processed?

We are completely new to the FPGA, including my 75 year old professor. Hence we are all faced with tough challenges.

Can somebody please help me out ASAP!!!

I did look up these companies and found a few that can be useful to me.
TI has the https://www.ti.com/product/ads8556#feature , which is good

Analog Devices has https://www.analog.com/en/analog-to...d7606-6/products/product.html#prod_cross_sell , which I guess is even better.

Linear Technology has https://www.linear.com/product/LTC1407A-1#overview.

But I havent worked with the Verilog/VHDL before much, just simple gate/logic/mux designing and am completely new to the NIOSII, so I do not know how I am going to interface this to the FPGA. I definitely know the SPI and I2C buses, but then, what about the driver for these ADCs and their initialization?

Wont the specific ADCs be required to be initialized using their specific firmware from the Manufacturer?

Also, I will have to design a board myself for interfacing this as a peripheral through the GP I/O lines on the DE2-115 board, right? Because this just comes in as a chip and I will have to put it on a GP board and come up with the Pull Ups and the Noise Cancelling Caps etc?

Excuse me for being to naive and asking stupid questions, but I am a complete beginner and have been assigned this task, which although doesn't have a deadline, needs to be completed at a satisfactory pace, since this is applied research for professor that I work for.

Hope you can help me more.

First, about the ADC- you do not need any firmware or any kind of software to use it. Just power it up, feed an analog signal. You'll get the output. It can be that simple. You have to make sure the shutdown, sleep pins are connected appropriately.

I think it might be best to get a evaluation board. Look for ADCs with eval board or demo board.

You can connect this eval board to your FPGA board.

Start learning VHDL or get help from someone who knows vhdl.

Please have a look at ADC tutorial or webcast. Just search online.

Thanks a lot for your reply Hithesh.

I know Verilog somewhat, and am interested in going ahead with that further. I am looking at evaluation boards from Linear/TI/Analog. I'll decide on exactly which one I have to buy soon.

If possible, can you suggest some good tutorials for ADC? There is a ton of information available online, so it gets really confusing. It'll be more than valuable. Thanks again!

Thanks a lot for your reply Hithesh.

I know Verilog somewhat, and am interested in going ahead with that further. I am looking at evaluation boards from Linear/TI/Analog. I'll decide on exactly which one I have to buy soon.

If possible, can you suggest some good tutorials for ADC? There is a ton of information available online, so it gets really confusing. It'll be more than valuable. Thanks again!

Go thru all of them.
I don't have a favorite.

Status
Not open for further replies.