Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LED sign board design

Status
Not open for further replies.

meysaminter

Banned
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi ,
I want to learn how to build LED sign and displays In various sizes such az 128*32 and ....
Except the usual methods I like to learn and use of new technologies.
can you Introduce me some saits or documents?

Matrix drivers use either Common Anode Mux for "Y" LED column drivers and "X" Cathode row drivers or visa versa. to select LED in raster mode.

{ For bonus points design a 3D display using XYZ and control from PC USB port. with serial bit stream for each frame times Z frames using 1W LEDs @ $2~5/W }

Drivers must be able to handle Y x current for each LED running at 1/Y duty cycle. Estimate ESR of LED by characterization on scope with pulsed ramp from scope to control V-I test jig and use CH1 CH2 on scope to see results... in white..
Learn the Zener voltage and ESR for every LED type of interest. e.g. White Threshold ~ 2.65V and ESR = 50mΩ Typ for 10W LED and 5Ω for 100mΩ LED

Better to use constant current source drivers since V tolerance is low <0.05V within same batch but +/-0.2V to 0.3 batch to batch depending on current or ESR tolerance.
ESR tolerance is good within one batch after sorting form vendor but may be poor batch-batch unless specified.

Start small and "master" Constant current source and Average current source with one LED to see results of flicker and effective loss of efficiency from driving at higher MUX current and thus more loss, thermal rise also affects efficiency from ESR and efficacy of (LM/W).

For small matrix examine design signals of this.
**broken link removed**
https://www.vishay.com/product?docid=37084
Buy sample and test.

For extra bonus points make your own 3D LED display for entertainment purposes using RGB 5mm reel x 5m ($15 in volume) and modify tracks for selective control rather than parallel string.

For simple solution, use your favorite search engine.

I hope one of these ideas has inspired you to think outside the box and then learn what you need to learn.

If it were me , I would make like a TV using LCD driver chip with sample & hold caps to store charge like LCD to drive LED.. Consider using PWM for driving input of Column drivers to address each pixel using VGA signals or QVGA signals 320x160 with appropriate TV sync and matrix driver chips. But you may need to learn Altera or xilinx design to do this in 2 mos.

It all depends on how much you want to invest in learning & doing.

Last edited:

You sould google LED sign boards. One of my friend is working on LED screens mounted on stadiums. First you should make 3D LED CUBES(for example 5*5) for better understanding.

LEE-128G032-1 is $660 so once you can design.. you can make too.
Also consider Step up DC-DC with constant current drivers ~$12 or roll yer own.
**broken link removed**

If you scan the LED's rather than latch the state of each, then you can use a DAC or video adapter to vary the intensity of each pixel.

VGA signals are analog and synchronized to LED displays.

You can run row column matrix MUX to select each Pixel the Pixel clock rate would then be N pixels * refresh rate and then you can watch video on white LEDs in B/W or RGB. If you wanted RGB, then layout details must be designed well. Jumbotrons used to cost $millions for a 640x480 display are now 1~10% of that cost from decades ago.

What are your functional and budget requirements?

Is this just a toy to learn from or do you really want to re-invent the wheel?

after i've installed some LED strip lights on my mazda..the floor lights wont go off anymore..(mazda car allready had lights on the floor..i chest tried to install a little more) **broken link removed** **broken link removed** **broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back