Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wanted: HFSS file format - Need to write a program to write file for HFSS to analyze

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeboraHarry

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Does anyone have a definition of the HFSS file format? I'm looking to write a C++ program to write files in a format that can be analysed in HFSS. At least part of it is just plain text, and I suspect one can write enough text to define the geometry if one knows the file format.

This is a bit of a file:

Code:
$begin 'AnsoftProject'
	Created='Wed May 23 12:57:59 2012'
	FileOwnedByWorkbench=false
	Product='HFSS'
	NextUniqueID=0
	MoveBackwards=false
	$begin 'Desktop'
		Version(14, 0)
		InfrastructureVersion(1, 0)
	$end 'Desktop'
	$begin 'HFSSEnvironment'
		Version(1, 0)
	$end 'HFSSEnvironment'
	$begin 'HFIEEnvironment'
		Version(1, 0)
	$end 'HFIEEnvironment'
	$begin 'geometry3deditor'
		Version(1, 0)
	$end 'geometry3deditor'
	$begin 'ProjectDatasets'
		NextUniqueID=0
		MoveBackwards=false
		DatasetType='ProjectDatasetType'
		$begin 'DatasetDefinitions'
		$end 'DatasetDefinitions'
	$end 'ProjectDatasets'
	$begin 'GlobalVariables'
		VariableProp('$length', 'UD', '', '10mm')
	$end 'GlobalVariables'
	$begin 'Definitions'
		$begin 'Folders'
			Definitions(1104, 10000, 1, 1, 0, false, false)
			Materials(1104, 9500, 9, 2, 1, false, false)

clearly some things can be understood - the date created, HFSS version is 14, $length is set to 10 mm, etc. But others I have no idea about.

Can anyone help?

Deborah

Re: Wanted: HFSS file format - Need to write a program to write file for HFSS to ****

lots of my projects have the same strings
$begin 'Folders'
Definitions(1104, 10000, 1, 1, 0, false, false)
Materials(1104, 9500, 9, 2, 1, false, false)
$end 'Folders'
really have no idea what does they mean, maybe it doesn't matter? :)
just copy them everywhere.

also the same strings can be found in adsn files, guess those strings mean nothing.... i.e. they have to be in project, just use them as is.

Last edited:

Re: Wanted: HFSS file format - Need to write a program to write file for HFSS to ****

lots of my projects have the same strings

really have no idea what does they mean, maybe it doesn't matter? :)
just copy them everywhere.

also the same strings can be found in adsn files, guess those strings mean nothing.... i.e. they have to be in project, just use them as is.

Yes, copying them is fine, but lets say I want a cylinder of length 10 along the z axis, centered at 10,320,32 how on earth do I know how to write that?

Clearly one could attempt to reverse engineer the file format, but it would be very tedious and I suspect take a very long time. I was hoping someone had a formal description of the file format.

...I suspect one can write enough text to define the geometry if one knows the file format....

Dear Deborah,
HFSS Scripting option would be a great help for you. Using script, we can programmatically model the structure, set solution setup, create results and so on. To integrate with C++, develop a program, that could would create script file.
I am appreciating your interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.