Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Flow of leakage current in electrolytic capacitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grizedale

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

Is the flow of leakage current in an electrolytci capacitor dependent on time-after-switch-on and temperature?

We are using the Lelon VEJ series 47uF, 250V SMT Electrolytic capacitor, and have 236V across it in the circuit.

Will the leakage current stated in the datasheet at 20 degC be more at 60degC?.....how much more.

Also , once the product has been switched on for one hour, will the leakage be more or less than the datasheet stated figure.

We must know as we need to know as the customer wants us to cut the current consumption of the product right back and we are wondering about the leakage?

Capacitor datasheet (Lelon 47uF, 250V)
https://uk.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Lelon/VEJ-470M2ETR-1616/?qs=rc8K/aOKpfQZL5Bsm%2bimAA==

As mister_rf says, it is good to consult manufacturer's documentation on lifetime and reliability.

From Nichicon info, leakage current doubles every 30 degrees temperature increase for a 200V 470uF 105 degr capacitor. Same document shows that the increase in leakage current is less for a 50V 1000uF device.

A checked an ELNA technical note (on my PC, I don't have the link) and it shows some measurement results for leakage current versus time. The first thousend hours, it drops a bit (think of <50%) and increases during the life time. But after 10000 hours it did not exceed the initial values. All measurements done at the "design" temperature (so 105 degr. for a 105 degr capacitor).

If you can't locate the document I can mail it to you.

It is good to read production related documentation on electrolytic capacitors, as this may affect the service life (solvents may attack the seal).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back