Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Differential Switched CapacitorAmplifier Accuracy

Status
Not open for further replies.

zedrck

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone,
I am currently trying to implement my very first switched-capacitor non inverting Amplifier that I described in attachment (fully differential scheme)
The principle of the circuit is described in many books:
- at the end of phase (a): the OTA has stored his own offset value over C2 (not shown on this picture)
- at the end of phase (b): the input signal is amplified with a quiet precise ratio given by C1/C2, cancelling the offset of the OTA with the charge stored in C2 during the precedent phase.
- in my case I try to realize a high gain with: C1=10pF, C2=100fF, C1/C2 = 40dB

Looking at the Single Ended topology I know that this circuit is quiet insensitive to the input capacitance of the OTA. (it is at least damped by its open loop gain)
But when I try to verify this principle with a fully differential circuit (cf. attachment) I find a significant offset shift at the end of phase (b) when the OTA input capacitances are unbalanced (on pin in+ and in-).

My question is:
- is it reasonable to expect such a circuit to achieve very low offset (of few micro volts) or is this circuit only a "study" case given by many books?
SC Amp are known for being ultrra accurate but I can´t imagine input capacitances to be completely matched on both sides of the OTA inputs even after a good layout.
- does anyone know any trick to achieve the promised offset cancellation feature of this circuit?

In advance many Thanks for sharing your experiences!

Cheers
Zedrck

Attachments

• SC_amp_scheme.pdf
    31.3 KB · Views: 49

... (it is at least damped by its open loop gain)
Don't think so: The damping-factor = Open loop gain / closed loop gain . With your 40dB closed loop gain, there might not be much damping factor left over. Try with smaller closed loop gain!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back