Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why we add air gap to inductor and not to transformer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABOELLEEL

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Why we add air gap to inductor and not to transformer?
I know for inductor to avoid saturation and store energy but why not for transformer?

Dear ABOELLEEL
Hi
store energy but w
What do you mean by that ?
And about transformer : because we have dphi/dt , thus it can't be saturated simply , however at SMPS systems at transformers we have to create gap on it's core , because the square wave , would be enough , to saturate the core !
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

Thank you for your reply :)
I mean that air gap store energy or there is no energy store in the core.
Simply I always to add air gap to inductors that i design but for transformer i do not add air gap and someone ask me why i do that i forget why i do that! :(

Air gap can't store energy ! it will decrease the permeability and it will add : Rg+Rcore ( rg added ) . to prevent from nonlinearity .
And at some of transformers we have to use air gap , but if you're referring to the usual transformers , as i mentioned at past because the polarity will change we won't have any specific problem ( don't forget if your waveform is square wave , all things will change )

Yes it is a square waveform. High frequency transformer >10 kHz (SMPS transformers as full bridge converter) and it is filtering inductor.

for SMPS at h bridge , because the polarity will change , ( polarity of transformer ) . there will be , lower problems , but because the square wave , at an obvious time can be considered as a DC signal , and you'd better to create gap space in core , thus you can achieve higher powers .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back