Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ptfe plumbers tape, good for high voltage insulation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

neazoi

Advanced Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have some ptfe plumbers tape. Is it good for high voltage insulation in a flyback transformer?
What else would you recomment?
eg.
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

That tape is OK but it is really designed for high temperature rather than high voltage. I use it to protect connectors when soldering very close to them. It snaps easily if stretched and doesn't mold itself around shapes very well so it's best used on or between flat surfaces.

PTFE tape works well, I've used it many times without problems. There are two types, normal plumbing tape and 'gas tape' (presumably for gas rather than water fittings) which are identical except that gas tape is much thicker. Both are suitable but you might find gas tape is easier to use on transformer windings because it takes few turns to cover the wires.

Brian.

That tape is OK but it is really designed for high temperature rather than high voltage. I use it to protect connectors when soldering very close to them. It snaps easily if stretched and doesn't mold itself around shapes very well so it's best used on or between flat surfaces.

PTFE tape works well, I've used it many times without problems. There are two types, normal plumbing tape and 'gas tape' (presumably for gas rather than water fittings) which are identical except that gas tape is much thicker. Both are suitable but you might find gas tape is easier to use on transformer windings because it takes few turns to cover the wires.

Brian.

Thanks, I think I am going to use this then. It is basically to isolate adjacent wiring layers in a HV transformer (about 10kv, maybe less).

PTFE is in fact Teflon, (Poly tetra fluro ethylene) and is supposed to be good insulator at high voltages, I used sheets and slabs of Teflon at higher voltages (20-30 KV DC). it is a reliable material with superior properties compared to conventional alternate materials.

Status
Not open for further replies.