Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need help on Wifi module

Status
Not open for further replies.

sudil99

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I need to read some analog signals and send them to computer via Wifi. The device should be portable, so there should not be any connection to PC via wire.
I found a Wifi module RN-171 which has 8 ADCs and Wifi.

I read the data sheet, but couldn't understand if I need a microcontroller for it or not. I don't know why would it need a microcontroller.
I would be glad if someone could briefly explain this.

Thank you.

Dear sudil99
Lets assume you need to communicate two systems through WiFi. one system is your PC and other is "X". So X is the system where you are going to read some analog signal. ultimately you need to interface system X with the Wifi module(say RN171) to powerup/load the firware/debug/initiate the process. the data sheet mentions the system X as uController. hope this help you.
so other than analog signals you require some other signals (UART/SPI) from X.

Hi, thanx for reply. I understood that.

But this Wifi module already has ADCs too. And the user manual tells that we can communicate to this module from PC using UART or Telnet. So, can't we control the module from PC instead of "X"? If that is possible I can avoid using the microcontroller.

Hi Sudil99
yes. if you are going to interface the module with PC through UART or Telnet. then uController or X is not required. but it should support your PC operating system. go through the user manual. if your OS is listed in the manual. you are done. but only on the wifi side. not on the ADC. for ADC, you need to wire the floating ADC pins from the RN171 module to the corresponding ADC section where the readable analog signals exists.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back