Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Unexpected shutdown of desktop pc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do not worry if you back cpu with correct corner marking on it and on cpu socket there is no problem.

Just check heatsink mounting with new silicon grease.

Remove memory modules and clean memory sockets and memory module pins.

All this is performed with disconnected power supply from motherboard, all completelly turnet off power supply.

I have fixed the heatsink with new cooling paste and the computer is booting perfectly.
Now the CPU part of the cabin is cooler than before and the heating is due to SMPS.

The unexpected shutdown on my pc is not done by the CPU.
I have started the pc without heatsink (the system will shutdown within 30seconds) and next time i start the pc it will give a message that THE COMPUTER WAS PREVIOUSLY SHUTDOWN DUE TO OVERHEAT OF CPU.

When i examined it is SMPS that is heating.

Anyway cleaning the heatsink ribs made a small change.

No
No

What does overheating of PSU means, motherboard draws more current?

PSU is Power Supply unit, you should clean that also.

Maybe some component inside PSU overheat and damaged, maybe PSU cant deliver needed power or some voltage rail have problems.

Please check mounting of heatsink again and check points with red arrow in picture post 19.

Install Speedfan tool and tell me CPU temperature after few minutes of operation.

Capture.PNG
Capture2.PNG
Now....
Capture3.PNG

My friend your GPU is cooking. Check heatsink of graphic card, fan and rest about this. ;-)

Additional this dont have connection with this actuel problem but can help to general health of your pc:
Put one fan to cool first hard disk which contains OS on it, keep temp below 55C (30-40C will be good) for hard disks.

---------- Post added at 21:25 ---------- Previous post was at 21:02 ----------

Just to understand I tell this for system idling. If you press pedal of system with some game gpu may go up to 90C. This depends from graphics card type and design. When idling for most 55-60C is ok.

Inspect heatsink, and specially fan if exist. Check speed and rotation of fan, if needed change it, or put few drops of oil on bearing from back side.

Last edited:

What about liquid cooling or any other options which is cost effective.
I think i need to cool the entire cabin.

What about liquid cooling or any other options which is cost effective.
I think i need to cool the entire cabin.

What happen with graphics card, does GPU have fan ?

First you should put system in normal state with conventional cooling, later you can do what you whant.

---------- Post added at 09:20 ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 ----------

Can you make photo of PC case inside (when open), and one photo just for graphics card, and put it here?

I have no GPU. The two silver colored heatsinks and the RAM slots are the hot parts other than CPU.
Image004.jpg

Last edited:

Remove both, clean and put silicon grease, then return heatsinks.

---------- Post added at 09:52 ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 ----------

You should not use scotch tape on motherboard, or close to chips. It have negative electrical charge. (material will tend to attract electrons when brought in contact with other materials). I mean electrostatic electricity. Pull scotch tape off surface and it will become charged.

I can't open these heat sinks. they are well fixed.

I am concluding that the system is shutting down because smps can't supply enough current.

Then this heatsinks are fixed with glue, leave them alone.

Yes check power supply try other. Check connector of power supply connected to motherboard next to memory slots, check pins connections. Sometimes some pins lose connections and they looklike burnt.

Yes, now i am worried about the power supply. The capacitors and voltage regulators near the PSU pins are red hot. And the ram chips also. Does a bad PSU can cause this if it has more AC component in its output voltage.

Yes, now i am worried about the power supply. The capacitors and voltage regulators near the PSU pins are red hot. And the ram chips also. Does a bad PSU can cause this if it has more AC component in its output voltage.

Yes it can cause this. In my post #35 I say that bad PSU connector connection with motherboard connector connection can be somethimes bad and can cause overheating or melting connector place. Check that connector. Measure voltage of PSU with good multimeter 12V, 5V, 3,3V, USB 5V.

Is the voltage levels shown on SpeedFan ok. #26
I doesn't seems that the heat from the connector is transferring to the nearby components.
The capacitor itself is heating. Maybe because they are bypassing more current(AC component). Voltage levels shown on speedfan is not accurate 12v. Right now i don't have a multimeter.

Status
Not open for further replies.