Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Please tell me if this is possible using the MCP4100 digital pot..

Status
Not open for further replies.

arbj2

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I am trying to make a voltmeter using the ICL7107 my circuit will be based on the circuit given in this link, **broken link removed**

The circuit is the fourth drawing on the page.

In my voltmeter I am planning to use a digital potentiometer instead of fixed resistances, the digital pot is the MCP41100 from Microchip, see link for datasheet https://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/11195c.pdf

It is a 100K linear digital pot.

Please let me know if this is feasible using digital pots...also what would the expected accuracy be.

I know the 7107 is used in digital voltmeters, and they are quite accurate is it possible to achieve similar accuracies if I make my my own voltmeter using the 7107 ??

I am sorry if the above description is sketchy as the idea is still in my head and I have not made any prototypes yet to get accurate information.

thanks
arbj2

Hi,

No, totally unsuitable.

You would need a micro with SPI to set the digital pots in the first place.

The input resistors on a meter are critial values essential for the accuracy of the meter, using resistors with a 1% or better tollerance is needed.

Thanks for the reply....

So instead of fixed resistances I will use the auto-range circuit instead so no selection of resistances would be required.

Is there any way of increasing the resolution of the circuit, it is at present 0.1 mV, ie: values will be displayed as 12.1, 12.2 etc. I want to display 12.123 instead would this possible ??

you can always do that,
like in arduino you can use

Code:
Serial.print(variable,7);
it will gives you 7 decimal places,so in your case 12.123 it would be 3
and you have to make sure the datatype is right for your value,use float number for the safe-way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back